Ch. 13

Sophia's POV- New Years Eve 2015

Adrian was currently in Helsinki, Finland competing for Sweden at the World Juniors. Helsinki was 9 hours ahead of the time here in California. It was almost 3PM here, and almost midnight there. 

"How's your friend?" I asked.

He made a face as we both heard coughing followed by gagging. 

"He's miserable because he knows he's got a concussion"

William Nylander was Adrian's teammates. They were close friends, and even played on the same hockey team before they both got drafted. I knew he and Adrian were close friends because Adrian had a picture of both of them in his room. Adrian had literally cropped out the other guy in the picture, and I found it hilarious when he told me that.

 Adrian had literally cropped out the other guy in the picture, and I found it hilarious when he told me that

Willy as Adrian referred to him as literally only played one shift before he got hit by a Swiss player. Adrian also received a nasty hit during the game, but he was able to return to the game and play. His teammate didn't have the same luck, and had not played in the past two games. I asked about him because he was Adrian's roommate and every time we talked I could hear him throw up in the background or groan every now and then.

"That sucks" I admitted.

He nodded.

"Give me a second"

I nodded as he got off of his bed. I took the time to look at Blue who trotted inside the room. 

"Hi boy" I cooed.

He jumped up on the bed and curled up next to me. I looked at the screen when I heard coughing. Adrian sat on the bed and reached for his phone before putting his earphones on.

"Has he ate anything?" I asked.

Adrian nodded.

"It all came out right now, I texted his brother to bring him gatorade"

I nodded.

"He wants some cuddles so I let him lay in bed with me"

Adrian patted the lump next to him and got a grunt in return.

"No one deserves to begin the New Year alone" I said.

"Willy loves me, right?"

"No"

I laughed as Adrian shifted and cuddled up to the lump.

"Love you too man"

He stayed in that position for a bit and  wiggled his eyebrows at me as we both heard a light snores few minutes later.

"I'm a great cuddle buddy"

"That's nice to know" I said.

"So how was your day?"

"I helped Mariana pack her bags" I replied.

Mariana was going to study abroad in Toronto for the semester from January to May. 

"Is she excited to study abroad?"

"Yeah, she's a bit nervous since she knows no one except her roommate" I answered.

"I'm sure she'll have a great time"

I nodded.

"And the countdown begins"

"10" I said.

"9"

"8" 

"7"

"6" 

"5"

"4" 

"3"

"2"

"1" 

"Happy New Years" I told him.

He smiled.

"Don't go kissing other people, yeah?"

I laughed.

"I'll give Val a kiss on the cheek" I said.

"Thanks for spending Christmas with Val"

I shrugged, my mom had found out that Val was spending Christmas alone so she invited him over. She had also invited him over to spend the New Year with us.

"I don't mind, George and Mariana loved him" I stated.

"I'm not going to meet Mariana, right?"

I shook my head.

"Not until May at least" I replied.

He yawned against the sleeping lump.

"Night" I said.

He smiled.

"I'll call you when it's almost midnight there"

I nodded.

"Night"

I waved and he ended the call. I looked at Blue who placed his head on my thigh.

"You'll like Adrian" I told him.

He barked.

"You have to, he's my boyfriend" I stated.

After Adrian asked me to be his girlfriend I had him ask my mom for permission. My mom agreed and gave him a tight hug. She then congratulated him on going to Helsinki and wished him a great time.