Chapter 9

Hi everyone!!!  Here is the new chapter for all of my lovely readers.

Last time we came to know about Kai. This time u will know a little more about Anya.

Happy Reading!!!!

Anya's POV

          Once the office building was out of sight, I turned towards the front and used my hand to balance myself when I saw a turning ahead. The pinching pain in my hand reminded me that I still have the key card in my hold. I released it from my grip and lifted my hand to observe the throbbing area in the palm. Priya caught the sight of it dangling from my hand through her rearview mirror and raised her voice over the bike noise asking me what it was. After hearing my answer, she pulled the breaks all of a sudden and stopped the bike on the road. The card dropped from my fingers while I was trying to balance myself from falling because of the sudden jerky movement. I got down from the bike and picked it up. She snatched the card and observed it very closely. Then she looked at me as if I have committed a grave sin by holding that card and death row is my punishment.

          I understood Priya has a penchant for drama and theatrics after talking with her today. Even though we met today for the first time, she told me in the parking garage that we were going to be good friends. I couldn't agree with her more. So she put on her drama queen hat and told me dramatically that we cannot carry any key cards since they are issued for a very particular purpose and for a definite time frame. I stifled my laughter and nodded my head, however this did not escape her. She narrowed her eyes and told me to return it to the receptionist the next day else it would be my doom. She pondered over something for few seconds as if it was an issue of national security and asked me to take her along with me while returning, before strating the bike again.

          We reached my place after 15 minutes and it appeared that Priya knows Mr & Mrs Mehra in whose house I am staying as a paying guest. We greeted Mr. Mehra who was watching some news channel and went in search of Mrs. Mehra to find her placing the dishes on table. A loving smile adorned her face when she noticed us and she ushered us to get ready for dinner. However, Priya declined it saying that she has to get home and promising Mrs. Mehra that she would take up on that invitation some other time. After she left Mr. Mehra came to me holding a parcel with my name on it. After looking at the return address, I could not hold back the big smile spreading on my lips. Mrs. Mehra gave me scissors​ with which I cut opened the parcel.

            I found myself staring at the jars filled with my favourite jams made by my grandma and bottles filled to the brim with my favourite candy. My heart filled with the overwhelming joy of the love I could experience by looking at them. I decided to take dinner in my room. Mrs. Mehra warned me to finish dinner failing which she will inform my grandma. They both are college friends, whereas Mr. Mehra and my grandfather know each other through their wives. After thanking them for the parcel and the dinner, I bid them good night and went to my room.

           After placing the plate and contents of the parcel on the table I took out my mobile and called my grandparents. They answered the call but I could not talk to them since they were arguing about who would talk to me first. So I disconnected the call and  decided to face time with them. They answered it and started bickering at each other. It was then I realised how much I missed them and their silly arguments, which were not at all silky but they are the threads that weave their relationship into a strong and beautiful thread according to my grandma.

         Grandma won the argument as usual, nothing new with that.  Everyone thinks that my grandpa is scared of her and sits quiet instead of trying to win, what they do not know is the reason behind this. In his words, he likes when Grandma argues with him,loves that fire in her and do not want her to feel constricted where she could not express her views to him, so he surrenders himself and because of this their relationship strengthens day by day. Even after winning the argument, my Grandma always takes my Grandpa's opinion in everything saying that he knows what is best for her than anyone. The most beautiful part of it is that, both know the reasons behind the behavior of the another, but do not stop each other from behaving so. It might sound irrational and illogical to many, but for me it shows the level of understanding, trust, comfort and friendship between them very clearly. It is not an exaggeration to say that all the couples of my family have this peculiar trait because I found the same with my brother and SIL's relationship and according to my brother it was the same with my parents.

           Their thoughts made me realize how much I missed them, how little I know about them and how less time I had with them. I couldn't bear the sorrow and pain of missing my parents. Everyone missed them, apart from the accident I do not have many memories of them unlike my brother and grandparents. It must have been very obvious to them that I was feeling sad by looking at my face because Grandpa chided Grandma for embarrassing me by sending the Jars of jams and I was feeling low because of that. Before I could correct him that I loved what she sent, grandma retaliated by saying that she would send me whatever she wants, whenever she wants and wherever she wants . My grandma's jams are the best and I took her side by agreeing with her point. Then I turned the camera to let her see what else were there in that parcel. She was shocked after looking at all the bottles filled with candies and chocolates and glared at grandpa for being such a hypocrite.

          Much to his chagrin, I told her that he must have a stash of them unknown to her somewhere in the house because the candy are not homemade but some branded stuff. He looked at me as if I cheated him out of his greatest treasure and said he was miffed with me and would not be talking to me anymore since I outed his much guarded secret. Grandma tried to control her bubbling laughter and acted as if she is vexed with him for not taking care of his diabetes. Grandpa looked like a child whose candy was stolen, no pun intended. I winked at grandma and told him that I forgot an important thing in my room and requested him to fetch it for me. I have him clues as where to find it. After he left the room mumbling no one loved him anymore, Grandma and I laughed to our hearts content once he was out of hearing. She looked at me with so much affection that I could not hold myself from expressing how much I missed them and how I wished they were here with me.

          Grandpa came back with a big parcel and an even bigger question mark on his face. After I told him to open it, he took out the big jar filled with chocolates from the parcel and hugged it as if grandma would steal it away from him. Before grandma could do so, I told her that they are made with 97% dark chocolate which placated her and put a big smile on my grandpa's face. However my next words telling him to eat only one per day surprised him to loosen the hold on the jar. Grandma took this opportunity to confiscate it so that he will get to eat only one per day. Then grandma asked me about my first day of work and any unfortunate events that I had met with today. I thought of the incidents in the elevators and near the cafeteria but could not decide if they were unfortunate. The images of those incidents increased my heartbeat and I put my hand on it as if to control it's speed. When grandma asked if I came across any handsome young men in the office I could not hold back the gasp that escaped from me as I thought of him, my hijacker. Grandpa noticed this and before he could ask anything grandma told me to follow my heart, since it will never lead us astray.

         I do not even remember when I bid my grandparents good night because his thoughts entered my brain and hijacked it from thinking about anything else. I am so irked at him that he could hold so much control over me yet I could not hold back the pleasure coursing through me as his thought filled my mind. It is mind boggling yet not scary, disturbing yet peaceful, heart stopping yet heart thundering. I could not bear not knowing what is happening to me. It seems even grandma also has an idea about what is happening to me but not me. However I could not ask her, because it would only worry them and I do not want to be a cause of any worry to them. I decided to get some sleep and after wishing my parents good night I went to bed. I turned to face the window and the shining key card caught my attention. My drooping eyes could not see anymore and my thoughts drifted to him even though I was slipping into sleep. My heart knew and realised one very significant thing that for the first time in my life, someone other than my parents were my last thought before going to sleep. And I prayed God to help me understand what is happening to me.

     I know many of u r waiting for the conversation between Anya and Kai.

       Well guys, there are some surprises waiting for u in the coming chapters. And I am sure you will love them.