Don't Know How To Stop - Chapter Three

The immediate smell of roses choked the air as I entered the house. It was so thick I almost gagged. Red roses in white vases were lined along the wooden tables against the walls. Mark has a poetic taste.

Covering my nose, I followed the black painted hallway to look within the first door. Inside was pretty normal: a white couch with matt black cushions neatly resting on top, thin plain curtains to go with the continuous black walls and a large TV bolted above the oversized fire place. There wasn't any dust in the room, nor signs it had been recently used. Even the fluffy red carpet looked barley used, making it seem as if no one had lived in here for year. Well, moving on.

The next door was clearly Mark's recording studio. The walls had the familiar sound proof backing I had seen so often, encasing a well-used monitor with cameras and microphones set up, ready for use. I have no doubt Mark has already prepared his videos for the week Jack was staying with him, otherwise my phone wouldn't be showing me they had gone to the beech for the day.

The final door in the corridor was a kitchen, showing obvious signs of recent use. Grubby dishes and pans were cluttered in the sink, untouched. The hob was still caked in grease and dripping with over spilled food. A thin layer of kibble dust sat in a dog's lime green food bowel. There were muddy foot prints across the floor leading to the stairs to the side. Boys. Seriously, who has a fry-up for breakfast?

Laughing to myself, I crouched up the stairs in case I hadn't quiet counted for everyone in the house. When a loud cracking sound rang through the room, I froze before I realised it was me on the stairs. God, they were noisy. My body was twitching with nerves more than usual, setting me on edge. I mentally slapped myself and continued up the curved stairwell, glancing up. If I had a gun I could point it upwards for suspects and pretend I'm a spy.

I giggle to myself and clasp my hands together to make a gun shape with my finders. Bending my knees, I crouch along the pathway and point my "weapon" in every direction with lightning speed. I could have even been a spy, I thought. Still grinning, I run the rest of the way upstairs and actually kicked open the first door I came to.

I hadn't expected a sudden yelp and a figure to dart to the doorway. I scream as it runs towards me, barking in breathless shouts. Mark's dog flops down at my feet and rolls onto her back for me to stroke. This was enough to shock me back to reality. Fuck, I could have been caught. I tickle the golden retriever for a moment to calm my heartrate and focus on why I'm here again.

Once I was back in my proper mental state, I stand from my crouch, the canine immediately rolling over, board with the loss of me and runs down to the kitchen. I almost missed her comforting warmth but left her to search the house for food in peace. I have a job to do.

I ignore the room Chica ran out of because I could already tell it was her room, filled with puppy blankets and chewed toys. She'd also managed to somehow get hold of a newspaper and tear it into shreds like confetti across the room.

Continuing along the hallway, I creaked open the opposite door to see red sheets strewn on a queen-sized bed leaning against dark walls. The covers had clearly been slept in as they hung off the edge to barely touch the ground. The rest of the room was pretty similar: clothes spread across the floor to its maximum width, the wardrobe doors hanging open and the waste bin over flowing with crumpled sheets of paper. I moved towards the bin and pinched the top page screwed in a ball between my thumb and forefinger. I slowly untangled it to read it contents.

Mark,

I'm afraid I am disinclined to agree to your terms as this interferes with an investigation to which I am currently engaged. If you really want to be of assistance, take Mr McLoughlin to Pricilla beech at 10.30 on Thursday and do not return to your accommodations until further notice.

Regards, Your loving brother

Okay, that's a little weird. Did Mark have a brother? I hadn't bothered to research Mark as much since the order came in so desperate that I was underprepared. I discard the note and continue my search.

The black room was filled with photographs of Mars with his friends and family. More crimson roses were standing in the corner, tucked inside a delicate vase. Their petals were soft to touch, almost too soft to feel. One flutters to the ground at my touch and I feel slightly saddened. Turning my back to their beauty, I notice a black and green rucksack resting against the bed post. It's probably Jack's so I kneel down in front of the bag.

Inside, there are the essential toiletries, grey hoodie and a green foam case. I unzip the case to reveal a laptop tucked inside. Jackpot.

Of course, it's password protected but that's easy enough. My memory stick decodes the system within minutes so that I can access his account. It was last open on his YouTube page, a video where he told all his fans he was going away for a couple days. I was tempted to reply to some of the comments on it to fuck with the boys but restrained myself. If I did that, I would most defiantly be caught.

I slouch on the floor, my back facing the open door as I search through Jack's emails. Most was just YouTube notifying him about his videos and game developers suggesting new games to him but one conversation marked "no subject" caught my eye. The sender was only identified as ItsObvious@hotmail.com so I clicked on it, immediately realising who had sent it.

ItsObvious - hey, I need a place to stay for the next few weeks and your away so don't freak out when your place is a shit hole again.

Jack – FFS, dude! What did you do this time? Sure, your welcome to stay, thanks for asking first. Really.

ItsObvious – I didn't do anything. It doesn't matter atm but I can't go back there since the cops will be all over it in a couple days. I'm just crashing in my old room so I don't know how long I'll be here. Enjoy your time with Mark 😉

Jack – Fuck you! Are you already in my house? I don't want to know what happened but you going to have to give me some information when I get back. Not unless you want me to continue hiding your stupid ass.

ItsObvious - Fine. I broke your coffee machine btw.

I laughed at the last part. It kind of made me wish I had a brother of my own instead of being an only child but my Dad had passed away before they had the chance. So, Antisepticeye is at Jack's house. I need to get to Ireland then.

I search around a little more until I can note down Jack's address. I slip the paper into my jean pocket before a demonic voice sounds behind me.

"Well, hello, Ashley. I've been so looking forward to meeting you."