Its Not You - Chapter Sixteen

When Anti wakes up, he moans. He hangs his head and rolls to the side, looking shocked when his eyes meet mine. My body was still huddled in his arms with him pressed as close as he could get. Our faces were inches apart but I refused to move away. He searched my eyes for a moment, seeming to be thinking very hard.

He suddenly rolled off the bed and stumbled to the door. His head hung as he walked; I wouldn't be surprised if he was hung over. His shoulders were slumped and his feet dragged slightly. He paused when he opened the door, realising it was unlocked. I sat up in the bed, watching him nervously. I didn't say anything: I was too afraid of what was going to happen. He turned back to give me a curious look, grasping the key from inside his pocket and darting his eyes from me to the door. I stayed huddled in the sheets while my muscles twitched with the urge to run. Anti gawked at me for what felt like hours until I finally looked at him from under my lashes. He left, locking the door again.

Locking me in again.

I couldn't help it; I cried when he left. I was so close and now I'm back. I should have thought about my decision first but I couldn't leave jack, I just couldn't. The thick tears dribbled down my checks, seaming to burn as a constant reminder that I was alone. The room had never seemed so small before, closing me in with the only company being my memories. And I didn't want to remember anything.

I sobbed into the sheets for a while, letting time drag past until I was too exhausted to cry anymore. my heart felt so heavy in my chest that I almost thought it was weighing me down. I slumped out of the bed and crawled into the desk chair with the strong taste of salt clinging to my lips. I continued drawing the picture of Anti with much less enthusiasm than yesterday.

I've given up. After being so close to getting out of this place and failing so badly, all my previous hate for him had left and now I just don't want to be alone. In a way, I feel sorry for the guy. He's clearly unhappy, as evidenced from his breakdown yesterday. I'm curious as to what causes that in a demon. Mabey he has some sever mental condition or something. Lord help me if he's as insane as I can imagine.

Were all alone once you've crossed A.C.I.D.

At the same time though, I can't forget about the blood and body parts in the kitchen. I can't forget about that woman either. She came to me for help and I failed her. I'm not even sure I could kill him anymore if I got the chance. I just want to know what happened to him. I phased out, thinking about the possibilities of what could have distressed this man so badly.

The pencil was gripped tight in my fist, my dark eyes glazed over in thought when Anti came back in the room. He carried to heaping bowls of soup, watching me warily before carefully placing a bowl on the desk and crawling onto the bed with his own. My stomach growled at the smell and I didn't hesitate, like the first time we ate together, to devour the whole thing. He slowly made his way through his while watching me. I didn't care that his eyes never move away from me. The whole time, neither of us said anything.

Anti stayed sat on the bed while I sat at the desk, both looking at each other intently. He purposely hadn't locked the door again when he came in.

I think he's testing me. I didn't make a move to the door while he was here; I knew he would catch me in an instant and was already on edge while giving me this little bit of trust. If I know I can't escape, why would I ruin this chance to build a trusting relationship until I can have a better shot? When I had finished my soup, and didn't run away, he relaxed a little. We watched each other for a moment, both trying to figure the other one out.

No one said anything until there was a soft knock at the door.

"Anti, I think we should talk," Jack's thick Irish accent sounded through the door. Anti's eyes immediately widened as he looked at me, waiting for my reaction. I kept my mouth closed. His eyes were unreadable when he realised I wasn't going to do anything to alert Jack. God, I wanted to, but I want to keep him safe and I still haven't figured Anti out enough yet to know if he would hurt his brother. I saw a million emotions cross his face but all too fast for me to read until it went completely blank.

Anti finally spoke for the first time since he kissed me. "Oh, I see. You must know my brother. Don't worry, this'll be our secret."