Chapter 18

Months Later

Nothing has happened since Snow came. Well it was Cato's birthday. But that's about it. It's now October time.

Today We had Gabe come round. He wanted us to make sure that we watched the presidents speech about the games as the reaping is only in a few weeks. It hasn't aired yet. But I'm very excited. Cato is round. My family are sitting in the couch with us. And we are gathered round the tv. The capitol seal appears and then the anthem "oh it's starting it's starting" he says. We all gather. Our eyes clued onto the screen. We see the tribute parade stretch. And then Snow. He doesn't scare me as much as he did.

"Welcome. To this Eve. That I announce that this year is the 75th year. Of the hunger games. Every 15years. Is a quell. With a special theme. And I am proud to announce that this year. The tributes. Will be reaped. From the existing pool of victors. To remind everyone. That the capitol still controls them" snow looks directly into the Camera my mother walked out as soon as he said victors. I hear her sobbing. My eyes water at the sight of Cato. His eyes still latched onto he screen as it fades to black. Gabe stands and walks out. Till it is left with only Cato and I. I can't stop crying. Cato's face is like stone. Cold and unmoving. I stand up and begin to run away in tears. Until Cato snags my hand

"Clove. There is still a chance that we won't be chosen" he says.

"I need to be alone. Or away from everything" I say. Pulling my arm free and running out the door. I don't grab my jacket. I just run. I arrive at my old house. I walk in. To find all my possessions gone. But still food left on the table. Like they just got up and left. I walk out at walk to the training centre. It's empty. But I manage to climb in. When I get in. It's dark. Almost abandoned. I walk over to my board. And see where I threw the knives at the girls picture. Because I was so upset. When Cato forgot about me. Then I see the name I scratched into it. Cato. Short and sweet. If only I knew that at the time. When he was my age. And I was 13. Us running it too each other was fate. Fate is cruel. I can't stay here much longer. So I flee. And run until I see flower laid down by the old oak tree that Cato and I sat at. The night Before the reaping. I pick up and punch of flowers. And read the letter attached. It's from my mother "you where my Clover" it reads. I place back. And crouch down to read the other letters. One for Cato. From the girl. The one who called me a psychopath. It reads "I will always love and miss you Cato. We had something better than what you have now" I can't stand her handwriting. I take the flowers she placed. And walk to the end of the district. It's not far. My the end is a cliff. Guarded by a fence. It's stable. Reinforced every month. I look at the rushing water below. And hang my hand over. With the flowers. And drop the into the rapids. The wind blows them along. And I watch them fly. I hated that girl. She was so mean to me. I walk back to the tree. It looks so beautiful in winter. I run my hand over the bark. And find my Name. Carved into it. It was Cato. I remember. I think back to us. When we were young. And could think of happiness. Not this hell I'm living now. Fate reaped us both. And let us survive. For now. We could live. I think we will live. All the other Victors. Must have done something to upset snow. Although. Cato hasn't. He has more chance than I.

I begin to walk back. The cold is creeping in on me. My top and jeans won't protect me against the cold for much longer. I will be found in a pile of snow. Blue from the ice at this rate. I see the lights of my house. And speed up. When I open the door. Enobaria is here. She's speaking with my mother. We and we are also the only two living female victors. So one of us will go. Where as Cato. He has no family victors. I don't think. But many male victors. He has nothing to worry about. Enobaria walks over to me and holds my shoulders "don't worry. You'll be fine. One of us has too go. And who ever that is can win it. If your are picked. You win it. Okay?" She says. Her teeth scare me. But she's family. She helped me in the games.