Chapter 19

I sit up in my still warm bed. My joints feel so stiff. I look out to see a frozen windowsill. My window is heated up. I can we the trees by my house. Mounted with snow. If Cato hadn't of found me. No one would have. I would have been under 2ft of Snow. I still can't believe that he ran away. And that I don't know why. And that we might have to go into the games again. I feel weaker than I did last year. Maybe it's the fact that I know I have a one in two chance of being reaped now. And that if I am reaped. I will die. Enobaria won't save me. And if Cato gets reaped. He will kill himself. They won't let two win this time. I look to Cato's House. It's directing opposite mine. My room is opposite his. Both at the front of the house. His curtains are open. He must not have gone back last night. He's still in the spare room. I need to know why he went. But my body refuses me from leaving the comfort of my warm bed. My joints are still frozen. I sit and wait. I rest until I hear someone walking up the stairs. I look to the door and see it open. It's my mother. She holds a tray of food. Toast and an egg. Also with a glass of warm hot chocolate. "Breakfast for you. Eat it. While it's still warm" she says. She places it down on my lap.

"Thank you" I say. She smiles and walks out

"Mum?" I say. She pokes her head round the door "where's Cato?" I ask

"He's still asleep next door. Turns out he was colder than you. The doctor came. And is making sure he gets better. He checked on you. And said to wait" she tells me. He's worse off than me? He managed to Carry himself back. And I.

"Thanks" I say. And she walks out. My heart breaks again. He might not recover or he could be better in a matter if days. I begin to eat my toast and I suddenly hear loud crying. Cato? It's Cato's mother. He must be awake. Or he's dead. The crying gets louder. I can't just sit here. And eat. Whilst Cato's mum is going through hell. Not knowing if her Son will ever come back to her. I stand. Through the pain of my frozen joints. And push aside the tray and make my way to the door. The spare room is only across the hall. I see his dad. Hugging his mother whilst she sits and cry's. I walk over and in. I see him lying there. I don't know how too feel. The doctor is taking his thermometer out of Cato's arm and he shakes it. I touch Cato's face. He's so cold. I pull my hand away. And look to the doctor. He is putting his things back into his medical a bag "what's going on" I say. The doctor gestures to Cato's sobbing mother. His father stands as the doctor leaves and shows the doctor to the door. I walk over to Cato's mother and hug her. She is sobbing so hard. Cato's father walks back in. I look up and he takes me out side and shuts the door on Cato's mum and Cato. We stand in the hall way. I can still hear her crying from out here. "What's going on" I ask once again.

"Cato is ill. When he was outside. Something happened to him. And carrying you back made him worse"

"Sorry. I didn't ask for him too" I say. Interrupting him.

"Clove. Cato might be asleep for a number of Days. The doctor isn't sure. But the cold didn't help, we aren't sure what has gone wrong. Maybe it was his post traumatic stress kicking in and he couldn't take it. But something happened. We aren't sure what. Your going to have to hold on. Like the rest of us. We are all taking turns in looking after Cato. So nothing else goes wrong" he says. I nod

"I'll help"

"Clove-"

"No. I have to. I want to. I can do it" I say to him. He looks through the door at his wife and sick son

"Okay. You can take the next go. We haven't slept since he got back" he says. I smile politely at him. He walks in and I walk back to my room. Fate was kind. Leading Cato to me. But Fate was a bitch now it is Taking Cato away from us slowly.

I sit on my bed. After placing the breakfast which is cold now, onto my desk. I pull the covers over my feet and my arms around my knees. In a tuck. The thoughts run through my head. Of Cato not making it. Of us having to attended the funeral of a boy who beat the games. But was beaten by the Snow. Snow, he did this. But he doesn't control the weather. But saying Cato was killed by Snow sounds like he was killed by The snow. An easy mistake to make. But snow did say that we would pay the price. Am I paying for it now? Or is it fate. Either one. Next thing I know my tears are rolling down my face and my hands are on my head. Running my hands through my hair and filling my hands with hair and letting it go again. I can't help but think that Cato and I are too young to be die to be married. I mean. We are but I do love him. I will still call him my boyfriend. Until we are married by law. Fiancée sounds so fancy. The games are soon. What if he's not awake by then what if- "clove. Could you watch over Cato?" Says a voice at my door. I turn around. It's his mother.