Chapter 27

My Eyes begin to open to a sun lit room. Once again. I stretch out to reach out for Cato. But he's not there. He must have already left. What?! He must have already left. I press my hands on the spring filled bed and push myself up. I sprint around the apartment in only my nightie. Looking for just a very last glimpse of him. That I can get. I run to the elevator and see the ropes moving the Elevator down. No. No! I smash my hands against the door and watch it drop to the bottom level. I drop onto my knees as I hear the doors slide open. To let the riders out. I press my head against the glass door. Praying that the doors would suddenly open. And bring me some what closer to Cato. But, he wouldn't have left without telling me. Then again, he doesn't like making big fusses. He might not have wanted to see me clawing for his freedom. He would rather see me sleeping. Dreaming about him. Me smiling happily as my mind replays the happiest moments of or time together. I stand up and touch the doors with only the tips of my fingers. As I begin to walk away. I see my bedroom door still open. I proceed with my daily do's. Get clean. Get dressed. Eat. Life with have to go on without him. Weather I like it or not.

The sun is beginning to rise higher over the Capitol city. It's streets running with the blood of many children. And soon to be victors. I Can just about see the top of the presidential palace from my room. A horrible place. I'm surprised Snow lets his granddaughter live there.

After I get dressed and ready too face the first day without Cato by my side. I walk out the door and hear the First voice I have heard all morning "come on. We are early. But we don't want to be late" Gabe! I run out too dinning room and see Cato leaning against the wall. I feel my stomach filling with butterflies. I run as fast as I can into his warm arms

"I'd thought you'd gone!" I say rapping my arms tightly around his neck. He slowly and shakily places his hands on my back and pulls me in close.

"I wouldn't leave without saying goodbye" he tells me. His voice breaking throughout the sentence he spoke. I pull away. But not letting go looking up to him

"You need to stay alive. I need you Cato" I tell him

"I'll try" he replies. I watch one single tear run down is face. I catch it and wipe it away with my thumb

"Don't cry" I tell him. He sniffs his nose. And smiles "listen Larker. You need to come back. You promised me that you would look after me. Now you have too look after yourself. When you get back. You need to look after me and the baby. Okay" I tell him. I look into his glazed blue eyes. I climb onto my tip toes and kiss his head.

"I promise Clove. I will come back for you. Nothing can stop me. I'll be back don't you worry. Never forget" I says. I shake my head and smile.

"Come along now Cato" says Gabe. I can't take my eyes off of Cato. He hugs me and I listen to his heart beating. He's still with me. Once he leaves my grasps. It's unpredictable. I pull away from him. And let the rivers run down my face. Gabe sniffs, he has been tearing up. His eyes are glazed too. I put my hand on my right upper arm and watch the doors open. I wipe my eyes.

"I know you don't like goodbyes, so I guess. I'll see you later" I tell him he steps in the elevator

"Love you Clover" he replies. He towers over everyone else. And the doors begin to close.

"I love you too" I whisper as the doors Close shut. He goes down and vanishes from sight. I walk away and look out the window. Too hear roaring crowds. They should be leaving the elevator now. I slowly walk over too the living room and turn on the tv. It projects on too the dark stone wall. I see Cashmere walking to a platform. That pushes here up to the hovercraft. She waves good bye to the crowds. And then I see Cato standing on his platform. Being pushed up to the hovercraft. I run over too the window and push my hand onto the window with my fingers spread apart and watch the hovercraft take of. My hand closes into a fist and my head drops down. There is no chance of me seeing him in the flesh again. Only in a coffin. The tears stop and I let them dry on my face. Next time I see him on tv will be the countdown. What will I do in the mean time? I don't want to rush it. I glide over to the living room again. And sit on the sofa. I rest and watch the tributes. We are now into district 7- Johanna Mason. She is very good with axes. Definitely a threat to Cato and Enobaria.

As the last tribute gets onto the hovercraft. I hear a phone go off. We have a phone here? Well now I have to find it. I walk over too the hallway next to the window which let's the light flood in, in the mornings and see a phone flashing on a table. I pick it up and press it against my ear "hello?" I ask. I hear tears down the end of the phone

"Clove? Is that you?" Asks a familiar voice

"Mum?!" I ask

"Yes. Clove, we are watching the proceedings now. How are you coping?" She asks. I look out the window to see a trail of grey hovercrafts.

"For now. I'm okay. How are you?" I ask I hear a sudden crashing down the other end of the phone

"Yes. Clove. Your on speaker with Cato's family. We urm-we have too go now. Sorry. If I get the chance I will call you back. Okay?" She says.

"Urm yes. I guess so" I say. There is suddenly more crashing down the other end

"Clove. Your father and I love you. Okay. Remember that. Love you" she says

"Love you" I say. I suddenly hear more crashing. And the phone went dead. And I hear an ear splitting bleep "mum? Hello. Are you there?" I ask. There is nothing. I suddenly get more anxious. I feel like something's wrong. But I shrug it off. Cato should be at the arena by now. And in the tubes. My hands get all shaky as I walk away from the phone and sit down

"And the tributes are in the tributes! Oh look there's district 1, cashmere. Scanning her surroundings!" Says an excited Caesar Flickerman. My heart begins to pound. The arena is tropical. And has running platforms "oh. Then there is Gloss. And oh Enobaria" says Caesar. "And Look Cato Larker!" He pops up and looks around. He nods at Gloss and Gloss nods back. All the other tributes begin to appear. The the countdown starts. I watch the numbers countdown 30...29...28..27 I sit in a tuck crushing my legs into my chest and clawing my knee caps with my finger nails 15...14...13...12 I start to bite my lips I can't help but look at Cato the whole time. I can't lose him 6...5...4...3...2...1...0