Step 8: EARN him

At first, I was very confused as to why my dream about eating the largest pancake was causing the world to vibrate. However, the issue was dealt with once I opened my eyes to find my phone ringing on my chest.

"Hello?" I answered without looking at the caller ID.

"Get up," a deep voice demanded, a voice that in a different lifetime could have put a smile on my face.

"Ethan, leave me the f*ck alone. I have work today," I grumbled then, putting him on speaker, let the phone slide to the floor.

"What time do you start work?"

"Like, nine."

"It's twelve in the afternoon."

"Sh*t," I yelled, scrambling off the bed. Everything happened in slow motion. I slipped on my phone causing my arms to grab the nearest object which was the pale curtains shielding my room from light. My attempt to save myself back fired as I pulled the material down with me.

"What's going on?" Ethan asked through the phone. I wanted to imagine that I heard concern in his voice but I was tangled up. I tried to push off the floor to get up but a sharp jab of pain flooded up my arm. I groaned to avoid the scream that was going to escape.

"Ashley? Ashley?! Can you f*cking reply?"

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. My phone beeped indicating that he hung up. F*k him. So I was late to work, my fake 'boyfriend' deserted me and I was incapable of movement, leaving me stuck on the ground. The day couldn't get any worse.

"Ash, I'm back! Surprise!" my brother yelled, slamming the door open.

I lied. It f*cking could.

*****

I felt like a celebrity as I left the hospital with two guys either side of me. My brother, Ace, had his arms around my shoulders, increasing the distance between Ethan and I. I had found out that Ethan had turned the phone off to call his driver to take him to my apartment then the hospital. My own sibling, on the other hand, stood there laughing for a long twenty minutes while I lay on the ground mentally cursing him. He soon sobered up when he noticed I wasn't attacking him due to my injured arm and that I was no longer single.

"What do you mean, you're in a relationship?" he said in disbelief while Ethan went to talk to someone on the phone.

"I mean, I'm in a relationship. Why is that so hard to believe?"

Ace scratched his blond hair uncomfortably. "It's not that...er... It's just..."

"Did you expect me to be single forever?" I gasped.

"No! No... Of course not. This guy just doesn't seem your type."

"What is my type then?"

"Not him," he said, nodding in the direction of Ethan.

I turned to look at the billionaire and understood where he was coming from. Ethan stood with purpose along with an annoying sense of confidence or arrogance. I, however, was still in my pajamas, cradling my broken wrist in a cast. Grinning, I tried to force the expression of love on my face.

"It's about personality."

A personality he didn't have.

Ace stared at me probably wondering why my 'loved up' face looked constipated. "Are you sure about him?"

"One hundred and ten percent."

Finally, Ethan strode over, sliding his phone into his pocket. "A car is on its way to drop you off wherever you need to go."

"Thank you," I gave him a small smile. However, he simply raised an eyebrow.

"Not for you. Your brother."

"I'm not leaving you with my sister," Ace argued.

"I'm not asking you for permission," Ethan replied coolly.

Ace turned onto me, looking p*ssed. "You were saying what about personality?"

"Ethan's being nice," I argued weakly. "And I'll meet up with you later."

"Fine. I need to see May but if he tries anything, call me," he whispered the final part in my ear just as the car pulled up.  I waved to him, pretending that all was good. Once the car disappeared from sight, I glared at Ethan who was standing there, tapping on his phone.

"Are you crazy?!" I yelled, "Can't you be nice?"

His hazel eyes dropped to mine. "I've wasted hours with you when I could have been doing something else so excuse me for trying to do what I originally planned."

Despite, the fact he was right to an extent, it didn't stop me from glaring even more at him. "Fine! Leave! I honestly don't care."

"That's exactly what I intend to do," he said then pushed me in the direction of a sliver sports car. "Get in."

"No."

Ethan growled, frustrated. "I'm getting tired of your attitude. I can find anyone in seconds to help me pretend to be my girlfriend so can you just do as you're f*cking told?!"

I could hear the barely concealed anger behind his words so I entered the car without a word. He let out a sigh of relief which I didn't respond to then closed the door behind me. Refusing to look at him, I stared out of the window as he drove us to some unknown destination. The further we got from the hospital, it seemed like the buildings were getting bigger and shinier.

"Where the hell are we going?" I muttered under my breath.

Somehow, Ethan heard me. "Shopping."

"Why?"

"Do I need to explain myself to you?"

I was fighting the urge to slap him and my hands tightened around the seat belt. "It was just a f*cking question," I gritted out.

He ignored me and continued driving. The f*cking son-of-a-

The car suddenly skidded to a sharp halt, causing me to almost scream. "We're here," Ethan announced, leaving me in the car and walked towards a shiny building.

I gave his departing body the universal 'f*ck you' signal then got out. I could smell the overpowering scent of expensive. The marble floor, gold chandeliers and glass furniture helped add to the atmosphere. And for some reason, Ethan thought it was okay to take me inside with a cast and pyjamas."I'm not joking, Ethan. Why are we here?"

He turned, looking at home amongst the luxury, with a bored expression. "To find out whether you're worth a fake relationship."

#

This is late.

Ridiculously late.

Sorry?

I will update more frequently from now on because I want this story to be done by the end of July.

At this rate, it may not be likely.

XO Nyx