Step 43: IRRITATE him

I was typing away at my computer, trying to sort out the piles of work that had collected while I was away, when I felt the presence of an evil bald man. My eyes looked up to stare at John whose face was screwed up in disgust.

"Do you even own a hairbrush?" he commented.

"Not that it matters, I do," I muttered. John covered my screen with a handful of bags.

"Change your...costume for these and do something about your hair."

I grabbed the bags and dumped them on the floor, irritated. "Why do I need to change? I look fine."

"Yeah...if you were sixty years old."

"Go away," I grumbled.

He sat on my desk, pushing folders on to the floor then filed his arms grinning. Sensing that he wasn't going to leave, I saved my work and stared back at him, waiting for him to talk. Finally, he did. "A little birdy told me that Ethan is going to propose to you but hasn't yet. Which is probably the reason you're being a b*tch."

"Am I not always a b*tch?"

"Yes, but today it's extreme."

I sighed. "It's just annoying waiting and waiting-"

"That's what happens to normal people in relationships," he pointed out.

"But we're not in a real relationship," I reminded him.

"I'm sure you're not," John's voice was laced with heavy sarcasm as he rolled his eyes.

"You know this. Ethan told you."

"Yeah. And?" I decided that if I ignored him he would disappear, but he didn't and instead he took a sip from my coffee grinning.

"John, I have things to do. I don't want to talk about Ethan and I's nonexistent relationship."

"So you don't care if he's with another girl?"

"As long as I don't see then I don't."

He stared at his watch and laughed. "Would you still not care if Ethan had a lunch date with a certain blonde in...ten minutes?"

"Ivy?" I asked. He nodded. Why can't this b*tch leave Ethan alone? I picked up the bags and got out of my chair while John's smirk grew. "Don't look at me like that. I'm only wearing them because you offered."

"Okay," he said in fake agreement.

"I can't waste free clothes," I continued, slowly moving towards the hallway. "My mom always told me that you should accept gifts even if you don't-"

"I get it," John interrupted. "Just go."

I ran into the restroom, scaring the women who were staring at themselves in the mirror. "Sorry," I muttered before entering a cubicle. I opened the bag, praying that it covered most of my body but the thing inside couldn't do that. "F*ck you, John."

The skintight dress was short, mid-thigh and a pale cream color. There were also nude heels and a brush. Funny. I put it on and tried my best to try and pull the dress down. Opening the door, I went up to the mirror, brushing my hair as the women looked at me in shock.

I paused and looked back at them. "What?"

They diverted their eyes and I rolled my own, grabbing the bag with my old clothes. I entered the hallway and walked back ready to shout at John until I walked into a hard chest.

"Watch where..." I trailed off when I saw who it was then glared. "Watch where you're going."

"Seeing as you're the shorter of us two, you should have seen me first," Ethan said, raising an eyebrow.

"You should have seen me coming," I huffed. "Anyway, I need to go." I tried to walk around him but he blocked my path. "What do you want?"

"Why is John at your desk?"

"I don't know. I don't care. Bye."

He grabbed onto my arms, forcing me to stay. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing."

"That's not what John said."

"And what did he say?"

Ethan chuckled. "Nothing much."

I was going to kill that bald headed man. "Ethan, I have things to do. You know, things like work? I'm sure you have people to meet."

He released my arms. "You're right and I'm gonna be late."

"Yeah, you don't want to keep Ivy waiting," I said, walking off. Ethan turned me around.

"Is that why you're p*ssed?" I stared at his face which looked amused and raised my middle finger.

"Very mature, Ashley."

"Thanks."

"If you don't want me to go, I don't have to," he said.

"Do whatever you want," I replied then went back to my desk, leaving him there. John was in my seat, tapping away on my computer. "What the f*ck are you doing?"

He looked up, not fazed. "I'm buying you clothes that humans actually wear so you can stop wearing your curtains."

I glanced at the screen to see the price. "F*ck," I cursed. "Who's gonna pay for that?"

"I am since it obviously can't be you," a voice answered.

"Why are you following me?"

"This is my company, why would I be following you?" Ethan argued.

"You tell me."

"You two need to relax. All this tension," John said winking. I opened my mouth to tell him what I thought about him but Ethan spoke first.

"Have you eaten today?"

"No, she hasn't," John replied for me.

I wanted to strangle the man. "I can speak for myself."

"Come," Ethan said, without even waiting for me to respond. He started leaving.

"Fake relationship, huh?" John commented.

I gave him a withering look before hurrying after the billionaire who was almost at the other end of the hallway. He opened the door to his office and I walked into the smell of food. There was a box of pizza and garlic bread calling me to eat them but as I moved to carry out their request, Ethan's arm blocked the way.

"I'm going to ask you again. Why are you p*ssed?" He demanded.

"You haven't given me a ring and I'm getting impatient from waiting," I confessed still hypnotized by the food.

"That explains a lot."

My head turned. "And what does that mean?"

He pushed me inside the office and sat down. Picking up a slice of the pizza, he gestured for me to do the same. "I'm not going to just propose to you because you're being a b*tch or even dressing up," he said, his eyes raking what I was wearing. "I'll do it when I want to."

"I hate surprises."

"Did I ask what you hated?"

I growled. "If you sa-"

"To be honest, this could be the only time someone will ever propose to you." My mouth dropped open and he placed some garlic bread inside, smirking. "Eat up."

#

So I'm in Canada now.
It's snowing.
I haven't eaten properly in 3 days.
I think I can see my ribs XD
But I woke up early and wrote for you guys. And so many of you are reading so thank you!
XO Nyx