Step 32. SHOT by him

We left the building, receiving curious looks as we walked past. Ethan had let go of my hand and was typing on his phone, leaving me with nothing to do. I flicked off some imaginary lint and sighed. I almost believed that he was over me throwing his phone away but the silence told me otherwise. I followed him, without the slightest clue where we were going.

"We're here," Ethan announced interrupting my thoughts. I looked up to see the Subway sign.

"No fancy place with one thousand dollar meals?" I said, raising my eyebrows.

"That's only for Friday's," he replied casually before going inside.

The smell of food made my mouth water and I couldn't help the grin that grace my face as I saw the options. By the time I managed to make a decision, Ethan had already collected his food and was waiting for me. While I waited, I stared at Ethan, watching him as he per usual tapped away on his phone and occasionally rubbing his jaw. Then there was a slight crease between his eyebrows as he read something. His eyes landed on mine before he grabbed my food and dumped some notes of the counter.

"We need to go," he declared.

"Why?" I asked, confused by his sudden urgency.

"I wish I knew," Ethan muttered. "My brother told me to get back to my office ASAP."

"Andrew? And why would you believe him?"

"I don't but it's better safe than sorry."

There floods of people walking up and down the sidewalk and the grip Ethan had on my arm was the only thing keeping me from getting lost. "Can you slow down?" I yelled above the noise of the street.

"Did you miss the 'ASAP' part that I told you?"

"No, but you don't need to break my arm in the process."

His grasp lessened then his fingers weaved with mine. "Better?"

Heat rushed to my face and I rolled my eyes. "Let's go."

He gave me one last look causing me to push him to get moving. The closer we got to the company, the number people decreased and his fast pace slowed down. I tried to pry my hand out of his but it proved to be impossible causing me to let out a frustrated sigh. Ethan ignored me and continued walking in silence. Well, he did.

"So," I began, "what's the deal with you and Ivy?"

He rolled his hazel eyes at me. "Do you have an obsession with the girl?"

"No," I scoffed, feeling slightly disgusted.

"Are you a lesbian? I have nothing against you."

"I like guys as far as I know."

Patting my shoulder, he gave me a patronizing smile. "Ashley, it's okay. This whole fake relationship was probably to convince your parents that you're straight."

"No, it's not," I hissed before punching him which hurt me more.

"It is," he said tauntingly.

"You know what? F*ck you, Ethan."

"Very mature."

"At least I'm not immature like you."

"And how am I immature?"

"You know very well I am not lesbian but you just want to annoy me like a child."

"How would I know if you're not a lesbian?" he shot back.

I glared at him. "I had sex with you Ethan."

"So?"

"So you're admitting that you're so terrible in bed that you've made me a lesbian..." I pointed out, fighting the will to laugh at his offended expression.

"Fine. You win."

"Of course I do. You could never beat me." Suddenly, I noticed that he was no longer beside me and instead was staring behind him. I poked him, causing him to turn his attention back to me. "What's wrong?"

His eyes flicked occasionally the side. "Nothing."

I grabbed his chin and forced him to look at me. "Don't bullsh*t me. Why do you keep looking around?"

His fingers curled around my wrist then gently pushed me away from him. "Go to your office and call my dad."

"I don't know what's going on but I'm not f*cking leaving anywhere until you explain."

"I can't explain."

"Well, I guess we're going together."

"No, we're not. Trust me this once."

Ethan pulled out his phone then quickly typed something before putting it back. His arms wrapped around me into a hug that I couldn't break out of. I started punching on his back but he wouldn't let go.

"What the f*ck are you doing?" I grumbled into his chest.

"You're really small," Ethan pointed out, his grip tightening.

"Did you hug me just to insult me?"

Finally, let go of me but held onto my shoulders. "What's my brother's name?"

"What the hell?"

"Just f*cking say it," he cursed.

"Andrew?" I said, still confused.

His hazel eyes looked past my head then widened. "Get down!"

Gunshots started firing, hitting windows which smashed. I covered my head to protect myself from the raining glass. Ethan's arms snaked round my hips before pulling me down to the ground. People were screaming, running away from whoever was shooting. My hands shook in fear.

"We need to get out of here," Ethan whispered to me then pushed me to start moving. The moment I got up, the shots became louder and more frequent. The adrenaline in my body caused me to start running with Ethan right behind me. We were a few blocks from the company building until I noticed a guy ahead of me pointing a gun at me. I stopped moving and turned to find another gun aimed.

Ethan simply raised his arms. "F*ck. F*ck. F*ck," he swore under his breath.

"Move," one of the men grunted.

"Who me?" I asked, skeptical.

"Just go, Ashley," Ethan quietly growled at me.

"No," I argued.

"This is not the moment to-"

BANG. BANG. BANG.

Ethan fell to the ground with a grunt. My eyes widened with horror while I watched the men jump into a truck before speeding off. Blood spilled onto the ground, staining it the horrible shade of red as Ethan tried to get up. I dropped to my knees and carefully stopped him from moving.

"Ethan. Oh my God," I whispered, my hands shaking as I saw that he had been shot multiple times.

"Ashley, why the f*ck won't you ever listen to me?" he scolded before coughing, bring up blood as he did so.

"I'm calling the ambulance."

"I've already done that." His hazel eyes suddenly rolled out of view as he became unconscious. People started gathering, rushing over while I started panicking. He wasn't moving and I couldn't see him breathing.

"Ethan? Ethan? Wake up! Ethan!"

#

Dun Dun Dun

I love you.

I really do.

XO Nyx