Step 59: FORGET her

Ethan's POV (Earlier)

"What made you decide to come?" Andrew questioned as he drove us to Pierson's building. "Was it your b*tc-"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I dare you to continue that sentence."

"I was just joking," he muttered. "I bet it was her though."

"She has trust issues."

"That's why you're upset? Who knew Ethan actually had feelings," he mocked. I gritted my teeth, annoyed.

"I'm not discussing this with you. Let's get this over and done with."

"Thank you for this," he muttered as we entered the elevator to get to the top floor.

The suitcase full of money felt heavy in my grasp, making me relieved to cut ties with Pierson. "Did I have a choice? I don't want to be shot again." He didn't reply, leaving behind a haunting silence.

Finally, the doors slid open and his shoulders tensed up. The offices were deserted which screamed that there was a problem. A light flickered like a warning.

"Keep your phone close," I whispered to him. Each step echoed against the floor till we reached the end of the hallway. Opening the door, we found Pierson leaned against his desk, a smug look on his face.

"Welcome, Holt and Holt."

We both glared, an identical expression on both of our faces. "We have the f*cking money. The deal is complete," Andrew said, arms folded.

"But it's not. You think I'm not aware that you've been building a court case against me?" Pierson laughed.

"I'm glad you're aware," I replied. "It won't come as a surprise when you get a letter."

"There's an issue with that. The money you're giving me won't be enough to fight against your claims and I have a few customers who I need to give money to."

"So what do you want us to do about it? That's not our f*cking business," my brother argued.

"If it's money you want, you're not getting it. I'm a millionaire, not a b*tch," I reminded the bald man.

"You don't understand. I'm not asking you."

I rolled my eyes at him, becoming p*ssed. "What are you going to use to threaten us now? You've exposed my relationship for being fake and I have nothing else to hide."

Pierson reached into his pocket and a gun was pointing at my brother. "How about a murder?"

Instantly, I became on guard. I had no intention of letting a psychotic man kill my brother - that's my job. "You're holding the gun so it would have your fingerprints," I said, arms raised. "You don't want to do this."

"Slide the money to me," he ordered. I did as he asked while keeping an eye on his every move.

"You have the money. Let us leave." My tone held no room for discussion.

"And allow you to take everything away from me? Never." He fired the gun but this time it was aimed at me. Pain spread through my chest and I fell to the ground in shock at being shot.

My vision blurred as I looked up to see someone in black shoot at Pierson. I flinched at the sound which was followed by glass shattering.

"Ethan? Stay with me. We need to get out of here," Andrew said while he applied pressure to the wound but my eyes were focused on the person who had pushed Pierson out of the building and was now setting the place on fire using a lighter. Struggling, I got up, remembering I had no desire to die, and hissed in pain.

"F*cking help me," I growled to my brother who had caught sight of the killer that was setting everything alight. Andrew and I, as though we were in a three legged race, stumbled toward the fire exit. Blood soaked my clothes and stained the white walls where my hands made contact.

Breathing was getting harder and I stopped walking. Andrew looked panicked. "What are you doing? This building is going up in flames."

"And I'm losing f*cking blood. You better get ready to donate yours." It was getting hotter, a warning that the fire was spreading.

"We're almost there."

I was starting to see black dots.

"Think about Ashley. She waiting for you."

Time was quickly slowing down.

"Ashley?" My speech was slurred.

"Come on. Let's go to-"

*****

I hated hospitals. There was nothing more boring. Magazines from the dawn of time, the smell was horrendous and there was only you in a room attached to a machine. The perfect combination to go mad.

A doctor followed by a woman walked in. Her black hair was long with long eyelashes that framed her brown eyes. Too bad she wasn't my type. "I'm Agent Malia Reyes. We need a report on the incident."

"Why?" I asked suspicious.

She gestured that the doctor leave us then continued talking once the door shut. "There weren't three people in that room - there were four. And one of them was an underground assassin. So Mr. Holt, may I have a report on the incident?"

Hesitantly, I recited the events while she noted things down. "Thank you for your cooperation," she said when we were finished. "You shouldn't be in any danger but I would try and stay with someone for a while."

"What exactly is going on? Who is this 'assassin'?"

"He's the d*ck who makes my job harder than has to be," Malia Reyes answered, putting on a fake smile. "Get better soon."

As she turned to leave, my brother walked in. "Who's this?" His eyes scanned her, liking what he saw.

"I'm in a relationship," she told him bluntly then disappeared.

"She's hot," Andrew commented. "Is she here to replace Ashley?"

"No one is replacing her."

"She visited. Came running when you she heard about the accident. By the way, the parents know about fake relationship you two had."

I sighed. "I know you had something to do with that."

"I wouldn't say you're wrong," he admitted then threw two invitations to me. "Hadrian's birthday is tomorrow. You're invited."

"It's New Year."

"Mom and dad are going, I am as well. It's up to you seeing as you go shot a week ago."

"But he sent me two invitations," I said confused.

"I wonder who you're going to take with you," Andrew wondered sarcastically.

#

I don't take that long to update right? XD
How have you guys been?
Thanks for the 1k followers! <3 and the 72k reads!
I have nothing to say. I have a cold so I'm going to make some tea and watch America's Next Top Model.
XO Nyx