Step 40: PANIC him

For the second time in one day, I was put into another limousine and driven to another unknown location. Mr. Pierson sat across me with a smug smile on his face. "Do you want anything to drink?" he asked, gesturing to the wine bottles.

Fighting the temptation, I refused. "I'm okay. However, what I would like to know is where we're going."

"The Five Hills," he replied. "It's a restaurant ne-"

"I know what it is."

His eyebrow shot up in disbelief. "You've worked there before?"

"It's like talking to Ethan and Ivy combined," I muttered under my breath the spoke out loud. "No, I go there with my dad to eat."

"Hmm."

Silence filled the car again and I waited, impatiently, for us to arrive to the destination. We got to the place and the door of the limo opened for us to get out. Mr. Pierson motioned for me to lead the way inside where a familiar waitress was waiting with a clipboard.

"Hi, can I have your names?" she asked then looked up. "I'm sorry. Would you like your usual table?"

"Yes, plea-" Mr. Pierson started but she interrupted.

"I was talking to her."

I tried to hold off a grin as he began coughing and turning red. "Well...I-"

"The usual table will be fine, Bethany," I answered. We sat down at the table at the back, concealed from everyone else. The silence from the car seemed to have followed us into the restaurant as no one made a move to talk. I stared hard at the overweight man over my menu which he must have felt as his eyes met mine.

"I know this is random-" he started.

"You're right. You drag me here and don't even tell me why."

"I was getting to that. I just want to know how serious your relationship is with Ethan before I continue."

Raising an eyebrow, I became suspicious. "Why do you need to know?"

"Ashley," he said in a patronizing tone. "It's just a simple question."

I hesitated, deciding whether it was a trap or not. "We're serious," I said finally.

"Are you?"

"I-I love him."

This was the moment where you knew I would never get into drama school. Mr. Pierson chuckled. "Really, now? While I would love to believe that, you and I both know that your relationship is simply a facade."

"No, it's-" I tried to defend myself but his face told me I was wasting my breath.

"I'm glad we've come to an understanding. Let me finish talking before you interrupt." I nodded, irritated. "The Holt family owe me money and my meeting with Ethan explained that you are the only way to get it."

"And how the f*ck do you expect me to get it for you? I can't just empty Ethan's bank account. He would notice."

"Are you done?"

"Yes," I grumbled.

He sighed. "Anyway, I have an offer for you. One where we both benefit from."

"I doubt it."

"I want you to transfer ten thousand dollars monthly into my account."

My jaw dropped as soon as he said this. "I don't see how I f*cking benefit from this."

"But you do. In return, I don't go to the press about your 'relationship'."

"I don't have that kind of money."

"You have Ethan."

"No," I argued, shaking my head. "I'm not a gold digger nor am going to steal ten thousand dollars from him. He's a d*ck but I can't do that even to him."

"I can see that you're getting worked up about this so I'm going to give you time to consider your options." He place a few bills on the table then rose from his chair. "Get whatever you want and when you come to a wise decision, call my office."

Without another word, he left, leaving me behind confused and no way home. Then I remembered Ethan. "Sh*t," I cursed. My phone had twelve missed calls from him and a text telling me to call him back.

He picked up immediately. "Where the f*ck are you?"

My body shrunk under the anger directed at me through the phone. "The Five Hills."

"Why the f*ck are you doing there?"

"I wa-"

"Actually, I don't want to hear it," he growled. "Stay there. I'm coming to get you."

The phone beeped as he hung up. My heart was beating fast, scared of facing Ethan's fury. "Excuse me? Can I have some wine?" I asked a waiter with panic in my voice.

*****

By no means am I an alcoholic, it's just easier to deal with Ethan drunk. Alcohol has this powerful ability to make things less stressful so when the billionaire stormed into the restaurant, his glare had no effect on me.

"Ethan!" I announced, happily.

"Why the f*ck would you disappear without telling me?" His voice was laced with the anger I knew he was trying to contain.

"You sound worried," I slurred.

"Of course I was. You're my-" he paused, noticing the wine bottle beside me. "Are you drunk?"

"No. Nope. I'm lying. I am. But only...only because I didn't want to hear you shout at me."

He exhaled harshly and rubbed his jaw. "Get up. We're leaving." The ground seemed to shake as I got up and I grinned proudly when I managed to stand but almost tripped, trying to walk, if it wasn't for the steel arm that wrapped itself around my waist. "Come on," he muttered, leading me out.

Outside was freezing as it was getting closer to Christmas. I rubbed my arms with my hands, trying to get warm and rushed to Ethan's car only to find it was locked. "Open it," I ordered him.

"No."

"Why?" I wanted to scream. It was f*cking cold and I was getting more and more sober.

"Not until you tell me why you left to go here."

"Fine."

He cocked an eyebrow. "You're being sarcastic, aren't you?"

"Yep," I said then grabbed his keys to enter the car.

#

Thank you my loves for reading.
This month has made me cry so much. Damn BUT things can only go up.
So have a good day my loves and keep smiling.
XO Nyx