Step 9: WORTHY of him

I began laughing. "You're funny."

Ethan crossed his arms. "Does it look like I'm joking?"

"No, but you can't be serious. I have the power here. I have the control. I'm the one with your precious letter."

"So?" He replied calmly.

"What do you mean 'so'?!" I exclaimed.

"Are you uneducated? Do you not understand the concept of 'so'?"

"Of course I f*cking do."

"Then why did you ask?"

My hand raised with the uncontrollable intention of hitting him but he caught my wrist before it could even make contact with his face. Just as quick, he dragged me towards him then leaned forward. My personal space was being violated and from this distance, I noticed Ethan's eyes were more of a light brown than hazel.

"Ethan, is that you?"

We both turned to look at a gorgeous blonde woman. She wore expensive shoes and clothes with hair that must have been done by professionals and like Ethan, looked like she belonged in the glitzy building. In other words, she was the complete opposite of me. The hand that was holding my wrist left and Ethan gave her a winning smile.

"Ivy," he greeted. She danced (not literally but it looked like it) towards him and embraced him as though they were separated lovers who finally got to be together. I stood uncomfortably on the side, staring at the imaginary dirt on the ground.

"And who is this?" Ivy asked without looking at me. "I can call security if she's bothering you for money."

My eyes snapped into a glare. What the f*ck?

"Ivy, this is Ashley, my...girlfriend. Ashley, this is Ivy, an old friend."

"Friend is such a loose word," she giggled. "I'm practically part of the family."

"What part of the family are we talking about? His aunt? His mom? His older sister?" I asked snidely.

She carried on as if I didn't exist. "You have a girlfriend? Your mother didn't mention anything."

"I only asked her out a few days ago," Ethan said simply.

"Well, congratulations!" Ivy painted a pleased look on her face and as a fellow girl, I could see right through it.

"Thanks," I answered before grabbing onto Ethan's arm. Ivy looked like she wanted to rip my arm off.

"Anyway, what brings you here?" She twirled a long strand of hair between her elegant fingers.

"I need to ask John something," Ethan finally gave the answer to my question. Why was it so easy to reply to her than me?

"Oh. Want me to come?" Her eyelids battered quickly as if she had something in her eye.

"No. We'll be fine."

"Bye, Ivy. It was nice to meet you," I interrupted, putting the conversation to an end. I almost dragged Ethan away from her as she moved forward in order to give him another hug. "Why didn't you tell me you had a should-have-been girlfriend?"

His eyebrow rose as he looked at me in confusion. "Huh?"

"Ivy. This just complicates things."

"How so?"

I stopped walking. "How can I convince your family that we're dating if she's more of the perfect candidate?"

"I didn't ask to be with you. I can find someone else to date. It's you whose blackmailing someone to be their boyfriend," he stated. "Desperate, if you ask me."

"It's a good thing I'm not. Now, where's this John?"

A thin, balding man glided towards us as if summoned. He wore a pale blue suit and his hands were covered in silver rings. "You called?" His brown eyes widened once he saw Ethan. "Holt?"

Ethan greeted the man, shaking his hand. "Hello John. This is Ashley, my fake girlfriend."

I gasped as he revealed the plan but John didn't look surprise. Instead, he began scrutinising me. "I thought you were going to get a model to help you."

"How do you know I'm not a model?" I said annoyed.

"Honey, a model would never have split ends as bad as yours. I can see them from here and I have no glasses on."

I stepped forward, ready to give him a piece of my mind but Ethan grabbed my ponytail and pulled me back. "Ow!" I hissed. "What the f*ck is wrong with you?"

"Like I told you on the phone, my family will never believe I'm in a relationship with her or even simply friends. I've come to ask you if it's possible to make her look...presentable for tonight's gala," Ethan explained to the man.

John squinted at me. Walked around me. Poked at me. Spun me around. Then he clapped. "We can try. This will definitely be a challenge as she has a cast on," he sighed. "And her hair makes me want to die. Just leave her with me and pick her up in a few hours...or more."

I was being insulted from both men as if I wasn't there.

Rude much?

"Ashley, can you be good for a while and let John sort you out?" Ethan said, bending a little to talk to me as if I was a child.

"I'm not stupid so stop talking to me like that."

"Good to know. Behave for John." He stood up straight. "I'll see you later."

I felt like crying. How could he leave me with this cruel man? John gave me a sinister grin. "Honey, you're going to look stunning after I finish with you."

*****

After three long hours of torture, which included waxing, scrubbing, a manicure, a pedicure and other unknown procedures, John and his crew were getting ready to do my hair. I couldn't fight back as the treatment I was forced to endure had rendered me numb. My eyes we closed and I was put on a chair. Suddenly, I felt straps going around my wrists. I opened one eyelid.

"What are you doing to me now?" I croaked weakly.

"Just making sure you don't run," John muttered. I shuddered. He was evil but no-one could see it.

"Run from what?"

"The scissors."

"Huh!?" I began jerking in the chair, trying to get out. "Not scissors! Anything but that!"

I could hear the laughter around me. John just watched me, holding the weapon. "Don't tell me you have some random childhood trauma that has caused you to have an unrealistic fear of scissors. Because that would explain why your hair looks like this."

I glared at him. "I'm not scared of it."

"Then stay still before I call Ethan."

I stopped moving then screamed the second I heard snip.

#

As promised, I will update more regularly. I'm ill but you're worth it xx

I have changed my covers (if you didn't notice). They're quite good if you ask me :) Anyway, make sure to READ, COMMENT and VOTE

XO Nyx