Step 33: BEAT him

I shifted, nervously in the plastic seat waiting for Ethan's parents to return from his private room in the hospital. The ambulance had come shortly after Ethan passed out and they took him away, leaving me to make the calls to his family and explaining what had happened to the best of my limited ability. A week later, the doctors had confirmed that he would live but it would take time before he was back to 'normal'.

Ethan's mom glared down at me. "He wants to talk to you."

I gave her a small smile which she didn't return and made my way to where they had come from. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door then pushed it open. To say Ethan was good looking would be an understatement. He contrasted the hospital room, his jaw clenched as he spoke into the phone, topless, showing off an impressive chest. It was the tubes that snaked into his torso and the bandages heavily wrapped around his shoulders that pointed out he was injured.

The familiar hazel eyes landed on me and seemed to harden. "I'll call you back," he muttered to the person on the other side of the phone before hanging up.

"Why do I sense that you're not happy with me?"

"Because you're not capable of following simple instructions."

"Are you still upset about that? Didn't getting shot make you nicer?"

"Does showing concern make me not nice?"

I sighed. I was starting to sound like a b*tch. "I'm fine though."

"Are you sure?"

"I wasn't the one who got f*cking shot three f*cking times."

"Seeing as you're capable of using f*ck as an adverb, you must be okay," Ethan said sarcastically.

"Thanks a lot. I can see you think highly of me," I replied just as sarcastic.

"I don't."

I moved to punch him but I lowered my fist, shaking from my lack of control. remembering that he was injured and could sue me. "I have some thing for you," I grumbled before reaching into my handbag. "I would have given it to you sooner but your mom told me that visitors weren't allowed."

"What?"

I looked up at him, confused. "What do you mean what? Have you lost your hearing?"

"No. F*ck no. You said visitors weren't allowed."

"Yeah. So?"

"So why did Ivy come?"

My eyes rolled to the back of my head. "That f*cking little plastic Barbie-looking snake and why did your mom lie to me?"

"I don't know."

"She hates me." Ethan simply nodded, not bothering to deny it. I chucked his gift at him. "Here."

"You're...Why-What is..."

I smiled. "I knew you'd like it."

His glare should have made me burst out in tears but I began laughing. "You have f*cking issues. You can keep them."

"I don't have a d*ck to use it and I only have a fake boyfriend."

He threw the box of condoms on the table beside his bed. "How am I supposed to use them when I'm 'dating' you?"

"Well..."

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation. "Come in," Ethan called.

A nurse popped her head in, smiling. "Hello, Mr. Holt. I hope you're doing okay. I just need to check that everything it okay," she said while writing things on her clipboard. "Does anything hurt?"