Step 57: LOSE him

12 hours later

"Pick up," I whispered into the phone but it went straight to voicemail again. Trying to get away from the noise of the family party, I hid in the kitchen. "He's always on his phone. Why isn't he picking up?"

Was it me? I sighed, running my hands through my hair. There wasn't anyone to take me back home without asking questions and Ethan was clearly ignoring me. The sound of heels hitting the floor announced Ethan's mom's presence. She gave me a cold look before going through the cupboards.

"Where's my son?" She asked, not facing me.

"I have no idea," I replied.

"Maybe he finally decided to leave you."

That hit home. "What is your problem with me?"

"I can see straight through your act. You don't love my son and he deserves better than you."

"I do lo-" I slammed my hands over my mouth before I finished the sentence. I wasn't going to admit anything to her.

She caught onto that and narrowed her eyes at me. "I'm glad you chose not to lie to me. I wouldn't appreciate it."

"Call Ethan. He's not answering my calls," I said then began to leave.

"Why would I take orders from a child?"

"Because your son is missing and I think you care about him more than fighting this child," I answered and continued walking to find Victoria. She noticed me first then came over.

"Where's Ethan?"

"I wish I knew. He disappeared," I said, eyes scanning the crowd.

"I haven't seen him. Andrew either now that I think about it," she noted.

"Do you think they've run off?"

Her face exposed her worry. "Let me call them." As I expected, it went to voicemail with both of the twins. "They're probably okay."

I exhaled. "Yeah. Hopefully."

"Your eyes are red. Have you been crying?"

And as if by magic, the waterworks started again. "He..." Sob. "Is..." Sob. "Such..." Sobs some more. "A d*ck," I finished while Victoria wrapped her arms comfortably around me.

"That's true but you love him, right? You're going to marry him." I cried even harder, remembering that we lied to everyone.

"Victoria, it wasn't real," I whispered, my voice cracking. "I honestly hate him and I don't want to be that girl that runs back to the guy."

"Ethan is a good actor but he's not that great. He has feelings for you. A blind man could see that."

"He kissed Ivy."

"Oh."

I wiped my tears. "I feel like telling myself I told you so," I muttered.

"Then don't run to him. I love him but he f*cks up occasionally so let him do the running."

"Victoria! Victoria!" Her mom called. We looked at each other confused and she pulled me along with her. Ethan's mom stood pale, pointing the flatscreen television.

"Reports of gunshots and an unidentified man was seen to have fallen out of the building that belongs to the millionaire Mr. Pierson. It hasn't been confirmed how many people were in the building or have died but the fire that has started in the-"

"Where's Ethan?" I said, heart pounding. "Where's Ethan?"

"You little wh*re," Ethan's mom hissed at me. "You've finally killed him."

"Calm down," Mr. Holt interrupted but she wasn't done.

"You did this! You killed my son. You brought this Pierson man to him. Where's Andrew?" No one spoke. "He's there, isn't he? If my sons are dead, I will ki-"

She launched herself at me, ready to fight and end my life. I covered my head, sobbing shamelessly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry," I repeated as her husband grabbed her before she could do some damage.

"Ashley, have you spoken to Ethan?" He asked seriously, none of the expected accusation in his voice.

"No. He won't pick up," I replied.

"Go upstairs and call him."

I did as he said, leaving without a further glance at the woman who was screaming threats. Dialing my dad, I told him to find a flight to New York despite it being Christmas. I changed out of the dress, packed my things and left the house, not saying goodbye to anyone. Ethan's car was in the driveway and I got in.

*****
By the time I rushed to Mr. Pierson's building, there were crowds of people. Reports, the police and onlookers were gathered around the building which made it hard for my short self to see.

"Three casualties have been revealed, one including the company owner. It isn't known how serious it is," a woman spoke into a microphone.

"F*ck," I muttered and pushed through. A cop was standing and the entrance, writing on paper. "Excuse me?"

He looked up. "You can't go in."

"Where was the people in the building taken to?"

"I can't tell you that."

I showed him my ring. "One of them is my fiancé. Ethan Holt?"

"Willow's Creak. Three blocks away," he answered. Pity radiated off him in waves.

"Thanks."

The hospital was hauntingly quiet due to most people enjoying Christmas. I reached the receptionist and tapped on the glass window. "I'm looking for an Ethan Holt?"

She glanced up and typed the name in. "Third floor in ICU. Room 420."

I didn't bother saying thank you. I arrived and saw him, eyes on the floor and hunched over in pain but as soon as his gaze met mine, I realized that it wasn't Ethan.

"Andrew? What happened?" I asked.

"He's-"

There was shouting from the room and nurses ran inside, doctors following. "We're losing him!" One yelled.

#

Nyx is a terrible author.
I know. I know.
I'm going on a trip/holiday/thing for three days. This book is almost done. Maybe 10 chapters left which is probably why I don't update. I can't part with my children.
And I still don't know what to write next.
Love you!
XO Nyx