Chapter thirteen (part 1)

A/N - here it is! The much anticipated Chanpen thoughts. Well its becoming a long chapter. So I decided to post it in two parts. This still doesn't say what happened. It's more like an insight to penchan's character.

***********************************************************

" how is it going with P'Kongpob? Is he as sweet as he looks? " her friend Aom asked her , raising her eyebrows meaningfully.

Chanpen looked at her own reflection on the mirror. She couldn't recognize the person she has become.

Her family was poor. But her hard work had gotten her a scholarship to this university. She had been over the moon when she got the letter. Her family was proud of her. Entering the university had been her dream since she was a little girl.

Hazing was a strange concept. Why was it necessary for a bunch of seniors to bully scared and confused freshmen? They will eventually be friends. There was no need for this unnecessary procedure. She had heard all about it. How the seniors punished the freshmen for minor offenses. And sometimes with no particular reason.

She was ready to see what the fuss was all about. Her heart was beating fast in nervousness when the hazers entered the cheer room. What did they have up their sleeve?

" Welcome freshmen.. I'm Kongpob... "

Chanpen was mesmerized. She couldn't take her eyes off of him. He was nothing like the rumors of hazers she had heard. His voice was calm. He was calm. He didn't smile. His aura made it feel like he was unapproachable. As if she couldn't dare look at him let alone speak to him. She had never been in love before. Or even liked anybody. She was completely focused on school. Which wasn't normal for a teenager. But she had more pressing matters to deal with. She didn't know what she felt toward Kongpob. But she was intrigued for sure.

She returned to the dorm. Completely exhausted. The hazing didn't really involve any physical activity. She was emotionally drained. But she still planned on joining the activities next day. He was more interested in seeing the head hazer.

Her roommate was watching her amused. She was a second year engineering student.

" was the hazing that bad? "

" it wasn't bad. But P' Kongpob is scary "

" oh is he? But he is very nice. You guys are lucky to have him. We had a much tougher time . Speaking of which, do you remember I told you, you look like one of our seniors who graduated? "

Penchan smiled

" yeah P'..why? "

" you look like P' Kong's boyfriend P' Arthit.. " the second year said thoughtfully

" what? Boyfriend? Is P' Kongpob gay? And also do I really look like a boy? "

" yeah boyfriend. I don't know if he is gay. P' Arthit is actually very cute. Here let me show you a picture " she logged into Facebook and showed Chanpen a picture of Arthit.

Chanpen looked at it closely, she wasnt sure how similar they were but sure they looked a bit alike

Chanpen looked at it closely, she wasnt sure how similar they were but sure they looked a bit alike. There is no way they looked identical could they?

Chanpen looked through more pictures. There were pictures of Arthit and Kongpob together. Some where this senior Arthit was holding a pink milk. Thats a very strange choice of drink for a man. Chanpen couldn't help but smile. They did look cute together. It also made her slightly sad that Kongpob was taken. It wasn't as if she was in love with Kongpob. Sometimes she didn't understand herself.

*

She was definitely attracted to Kongpob. He had everything. The looks, the personality, the compassion. And his proud exterior made him more irresistible. She silently watched Kongpob. Making different scenarios in her head. It was a shame Kongpob was unavailable. Kongpob never seem to look at anyone with interest. She remembered how her roommate had said she looked like his boyfriend. She had taken a seat in a corner where she was sure Kongpob will see her. Maybe Kongpob would notice her. She just wanted Kongpob to know she existed.

She didn't actually believe she might have some resemblance to The head hazer's lover. But now she was sure. Her eyes met with Kongpob's. She noticed how he looked at her slightly startled. Kongpob's ears had turned red. It was an unusual reaction from the hazer. Maybe her roommate was right.

When she had asked for Kongpob's sign she noticed how closely he watched her. He was so distracted he didn't even ask for a forfeit. Her heart was filled with joy. The head hazer finally noticed her! It didn't matter it was because how she looked. The fact that Kongpob acknowledged her was more than enough. The happiness kept her giddy and smiling all night.

*

Some of the hazing activities made her angry. She stood up when she thought the hazers were being unfair. It was true she felt intimidated by Kongpob. He maybe dreamy. But she didn't care. Somethings were more important than boys.

That only had made Kongpob notice her even more. When Kongpob had explained the reason behind certain actions she was ashamed of herself for not thinking ahead. She liked looking at Kongpob from far. She made sure they crossed paths more than once a day. She had wanted to apologize to Kongpob for how she had behaved during hazing when she saw him at the cafeteria resting his head on a desk. He might be exhausted. She remembered the picture of Arthit with pink milk. She bought one for him. Maybe her image associated with something of his lover would prevent him from being cold to her. It was a shameless move. But she had done it anyway.

*

Kongpob had saved her from the boys humiliating her. Just like a knight in shining armor. He made sure she went back safely. She knew he would have done it for any girl in the situation but she wanted to think she was special.He had even given her his workshop shirt. She had heard how hard it was to acquire the shirts. But he didn't think twice before laying it on her. Kongpob's scent on the shirt made her heart beat fast. When they had gotten to the gate of the dorm she noticed how Kongpob was staring at her face. And his eyes moving to her lips. She was stunned. Kongpob had looked like he was lost in thought. At the back of her mind she had a nagging feeling about what the staring might have been about. But her stubborn heart chose to ignore it.

She had taken extra care of Kongpob's shirt. She looked at it while going to bed. Her roommate was speechless. She insisted Chanpen was so lucky to have been given a shirt by Kongpob atleast for a day.

*

When she had wanted to return it, Kongpob had looked sick. She felt guilty. He had gotten wet because of her. subconsciously her hand touched Kongpob's forehead before she even knew what she was doing. It was out of habit. She was the eldest to four younger siblings. she often took care of them. Kongpob's face was pitiful. And she couldn't help it. She was crushed in sadness and fear when Kongpob had shouted at her. She didn't think her action warranted such a reaction.

Kongpob had apologized. Maybe he had something going on. And he also had a fever that might have had him in pain. She had seen Kongpob at the stalls where people at the dorms usually had come to buy food. She suspected Kongpob might be living in the dorms as well. Which meant he didn't have anyone to cook for him. She went around asking people where he lived and left a porridge she had made herself. With all the hard work Kongpob deserved it. She wondered if Kongpob liked it.

[to be continued]

********************************************************

A/N - I'm super busy for the next two days. But I'll try my best not to keep you all waiting for long!