Chapter III

'Devil's Heart' now also officially supports ProjectWomanUp which is why this chapter is dedicated to them :) This is also the explanation of the new pink sticker on the cover of this book.

"You should try to listen to them. I will bring you nothing but a whirlwind of despair." - Mr. Mysterious

Chapter III

I stood nailed to the spot with my mouth agape. Truth to be told, I decided to just go along with Ana and Alec's plans because I really wanted a blueberry muffin... Who would have thought that Mr. Mysterious – how Ana liked to call him – was actually here?

I sure did not. How high were the chances of us meeting again?

A breath left my mouth and I stepped away from the door, further into the café. I straightened my shoulders and confidently walked over to him. On the inside, all my instincts told me to run away while I still had the change, but I muted them.

Pulling the chair back, I sat down. His eyes focused on me once more, almost seeming amused. "Is it alright if I sit here?" I asked, just to break the silence falling over us.

His lips quirked up at the side, bringing my attention to a silver lip-piercing. "Why ask when you're already seated?"

I blinked at him, not expecting him to say that. If anything, I probably expected him to cuss or just plainly ignore me. "If you do decide to ask that question," he continued in his surprisingly soft voice, amusement clear, "ask it before you sit down. Or don't ask it at all and just sit."

"Does it even matter?" I asked him in bewilderment, wondering why he made such a big thing about something so small.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Listen," he suddenly said after we fell in silence for a while, "I'm sorry for bumping into you and being rude towards you," he said, surprising me even further. Is he actually apologizing?

He awkwardly scratched his head. "I was kind of in a hurry for a meeting and I was in a pretty bad mood..."

"It's alright," I quickly said, deciding to save him further embarrassment. I could tell how hard it was for him to apologize to someone. "I was in a hurry too. Let's just call it an accident and continue with our lives."

The guy nodded, his lips quirking up once more.

"You have nice eyes," I blurted out. Immediately after I said that I clamped my hand in front of my mouth. "Sorry," I mumbled against my palm.

He tilted his head to the side, reminding me of a cat in more ways than one. "Your eyes are just plain creepy."

My eyebrows shot up. "Excuse me?!"

He shrugged his shoulders and looked up at the ceiling. "They are just weird," he muttered, glancing down at me. "What is it called again? Hetero-something."

"Heterochromia," I corrected him. When meeting other people, they always commented me on my strange eyes. I don't know why I thought – even for just a second – that this guy would be different from everyone else.

Our growingly awkward conversation was interrupted when a waiter came up to our table. The guy seemed nervous and was clearly terrified of the guy seated in front of me. "C-Can I get you anything?" He asked me in a shaky voice, nervously glancing at Mr. Mysterious, seemingly afraid his head would get ripped off even for looking as much as my way.

What is with people and avoiding the poor guy? They are taking rude to an entirely new level. He probably hasn't even done anything to them!

"A Frappuccino and a blueberry muffin," I replied, deciding to leave the 'please' away for his rude behavior. If my grandmother could hear me now she would undoubtedly scold me for hours.