Chapter V

Dedicated to granolabel for her 'how to write' book, which has been a big help for me. If you struggle with your stories yourself, I highly recommend it. (granolabel if you see this, thanks again)

"The title of 'Alpha' is commonly given to those powerful enough to earn it, they are the highest ranked beings in their respective cities. Many great cities of the world have their own Alpha." - John Pierce

Chapter V

The first thing I did when I woke up the next day is unplugging my phone from its charger and open the WhatsApp app, going to the group chat I created with Alec and Ana all those years ago. 

I am going to drop by my grandparents, catch you guys later! I texted, pressing send and placing my phone on the nightstand, getting ready for the day.

Within a record of five minutes, I stood downstairs, chewing on a pretzel while preparing Ghost's food as well.

Ghost was seated by my legs, patiently waiting for his breakfast. "Here you go, buddy," I said, kneeling down and placing the bowl of cat food in front of the grand white cat. Ghost looked at me for a while with his intelligent eyes, almost looking worried.

I scratched him behind his ears, "I am going to visit my grandparents for a while. Be a good boy and watch the house for me, okay?" I said, standing up and grabbing my small bag from the kitchen table I had put it.

I checked my phone to see if either Alec or Ana had replied yet. They have not. But knowing my lazy friends, they were still asleep, it was a Sunday morning after all.

Placing the phone in my bag once more, I walked out of my house - locking the door behind me - and hauled down a cab. "Where to miss?" The cab driver asked me when I was seated.

I told him my grandparents' address and leaned back against the seat, watching the scenery flash by, lost in thought.

Perhaps I was overacting about all this, but I needed to be sure. Or I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

There's just no way that such a small kitten could tumble down an entire fridge, and not exactly an empty and small fridge either. Even I couldn't tumble it down if I tried. So how did the kitten do it?

And why did the cat have the exact same eyes as Mr. Mysterious I encountered not that long ago? It seemed rather odd to me.

And his disappearing tricks? He did not seem like an illusionist to me. I was rather certain that not even the best illusionist in the world could pull off what he had done. Disappearing in the streets of New York like that. He was too tall to just mingle and disappear into the crowd of people.

My grandparents had raised me with the knowledge about the creatures roaming the darkness of the world.While growing up, I stopped believing in those tales they always told me, but with what recently happened, doubt was growing within my heart. So I needed to ask them myself in order to be sure.

"Ma'am?" The driver asked, breaking my train of thoughts. I blinked my eyes. "We have arrived," the driver added in amusement. A light blush crept up my cheek and I handed him some money.

"Keep the change," I said, stepping out of the car and looking up at my grandparent's home. They lived outside the busy city life in a quite – and expensive – neighborhood. In his younger years, my grandfather used to be a successful businessman and he earned a lot of money. He was making full use of it too.

 He was making full use of it too