Chapter XXI

This is a long chapter, 5K+ words. You guys better love me.

Dedicated to @dreamer308

"Just what is this girl to you? Why would an Archangel such as yourself offer to protect a mere mortal?" - Lucifer Morningstar

Chapter XXI

Three weeks later

"He can send me fucking nightmares all the way from Hell?!" I yelled in frustration, hands gripping my hair.

Ghost flattened his ears and stared at me blankly. Even though the fallen are cut off from Heaven, they are still extremely powerful, he told me.

Feeling guilty for yelling at him, I gave him an apological look. I haven't gotten more than two or three hours sleep a night for three weeks straight now – courtesy of dear Lucas – and I was getting cranky and taking it out on my own poor Guardian Angel.

"I'm sorry, Ghost. I know you hate yelling." I apologized, sitting down on a chair in my living room and rubbing my temple while resting my elbows on the large wooden dining table.

It's okay, he replied gently. I know that you need your sleep. The large cat stood up on his hind legs, laying his head down on the table and staring at me with his mismatched green eyes.

"How is he even doing it?" I grumbled.

Ghost's ears perked up slightly. It's called hypnomancy. It's the ability to manipulate and bend dreams at ones will, he replied. Most higher angels and demons possess it.

"Is there any way to stop it?" I asked desperately, just wanting to be able to sleep again. I yawned loudly and put my own head on the table as well. "Maybe to nullify his powers or to put up a magic barrier of some sorts."

I glared at the angel. "You're an angel, aren't you? Can't you put up a magic barrier of some sorts?" I asked. Whenever I had nightmares, Ghost was the one to snap me out of it, but the rest of the night I was too shaken up to fall asleep once more.

Lucas was getting creative with the nightmares he sends me. Which I recently found out is a very bad thing. Lucas and creative shouldn't go together in one sentence.

He has grown to love using my fears against me. But that wasn't the part that scared me the most. It was the clarity, how realistic the dreams were. He even went as far as sending me some of his own memories; horrifying memories filled to the brim with anger and frustration and so much blood and destruction, I couldn't even begin to comprehend it.

And all those weeks he has hidden himself in Hell, unreachable – which I had to admit, was a smart move on his side.

I am afraid that nullifying his powers is out of the question, Ghost replied, and putting up a barrier on that scale would take time.

"How long?"

Days, was the answer I got. And learning you the ways to guard your own mind would take even longer, he added.

An idea formed in my head. A rather stupid idea might I add, but I was out of good ideas and getting desperate.

"How about summoning him?" I voiced my thoughts. I knew it was possible to summon angels and demons from their home-dimensions. I have never done it before, but from reading Christopher's dairy I knew he once summoned Cassiel and some demons as well.

I glanced at Ghost. And we have a higher angel who might know the right rituals as well! My subconsciousness added.

Ghost gave me a perplexed look. You want to... summon... him? He shook his head in bewilderment. This is a bad idea.