Chapter XXII

Dedicated to HarryPotterize for nominating this story for The Mystical Awards :}

"You cannot miss something you never had in the first place." - Lucifer Morningstar

Chapter XXII

A loud yawn left my mouth as I dragged my lazy ass up the stairs. "Where are you going?" Ghost called after me. Glancing back, I saw him standing at the bottom of the stairs. His mismatched eyes stared up into my own and the light of the lamp overhead made his pale hair look like a halo.

"Bed," I replied. "Lucas said he'd stop with the nightmares, so I should be able to sleep once more. Humans need their sleep, Ghost."

"Sleep well then," the angel nodded, "I keep watch over the house. Sleep for as long as you wish, it's Friday anyway."

Ghost disappeared around the corner once more and I climbed the last few stairs and tumbled inside my room, closing the door behind me and I fell face-down in bed – not bothering to put on some sleepwear.

Within seconds, I was in a deep dreamless slumber.

.

I woke up shivering from the cold. Wrapping my blankets around my shaking body, a harsh wind howled in my face. My eyes went towards the window, which was wide open. That explains it.

Ignoring the cold to the best of my abilities, I wrapped the blankets around myself and sprinted towards the window. Just when I was about to close it, something caught my attention.

Somebody tied a red lint to the window, a small note attached to it. Nothing seemed to hold it in its place. It was just hanging in the air, dancing along to the wind. I reached out to the lint with my arm and grasped it out of the air.

Holding the red lint in one hand, I closed the window with the other. I did a double take on the window when I noticed it was completely frozen over.

I touched the window with my finger, just to pull it immediately back from the cold. Yup, it's ice alright, I thought. Staring at my frozen window for a while, I noticed that somebody had doodled a pitchfork on the ice. That somebody probably being Lucas. What is he, five?

Lucas was in my room. Again. The first time being when he fixed and returned my scarf after it got destroyed by a dragon. "Couldn't he at least close the window?" I muttered to myself, walking back towards my bed, blankets still draped around myself like a cape.

Sitting back on my bed once more, I picked up my phone and checked the time.

Sunday. 1:34pm, it read. I arched up my eyebrows when I realized I slept over twenty-four hours, but I shrugged my shoulders. It's to be expected when you barely sleep for three weeks straight. Realizing my phone is about to die, I connected it to the charger and put it away.

I detached the note from the lint and unfolded it, curious to see what was written on it.

If you still wish to get to know me, meet me Sunday at Starbucks around 3.

-L

Staring at the single sentence Lucas had scribbled on the note, I couldn't help but think what could have him change his mind. One day he wants me to stay away and the next day he wants to meet up at Starbucks. "He's so confusing," I muttered, wondering if all fallen angels were like that or if Lucas was just a special case.

Looking down at my wrinkled clothes, I pulled a face, realizing I just slept in the same clothes for over twenty-four hours. "I need a shower," I muttered. "A quick shower," I added, looking at the time.