Chapter XVII

Dedicated to @XBeautiful_MistakesX

"I call it Glorious." - Harlynn Pierce

Chapter XVII

The Archangel Gabriel.

I looked at the blade once more - Gabriel's Sword. Part of me wondering why an Archangel would entrust me with his sword.

"Listen to me, Harlynn," my grandmother said urgently, I looked up at her once more. "Not everyone is capable of wielding an angelic weapon - let along an Archangel's. Those swords choose their owners. They have a life of their own and are just as fierce and absolute and glorious as angels themselves. This very blade, is one of the few weapons in all of existence capable of killing an Archangel. It will be hard to master."

"Since the sword has chosen you," she added, "it will come to your aid when you call its name. Wherever you might be."

"What is its name?" I asked, holding the sword tightly, its vibrating having a calming effect on me.

"The name that Gabriel gave it, is impossible to pronounce in any human language," my grandmother replied, "so you have to give it a name of your own."

Holding the blade up in front of me once more, I watched the furious flames for a while as I thought about it. As an editor - and a Wattpad user - I have read enough stories where a hero got a magical blade to use in their quest. Most of the times, they had to name their sword as well.

Never did it gross my mind that one day, I would be in that very position.

Did Gabriel maybe entrust his blade to me so that it could help me in my quest to save the fucking universe from destruction? Together with the fallen angel. It would make sense in some ways. Having a magical sword capable of slaying nearly anything could come in handy. Especially since I had no idea what I could possibly face.

"You don't immediately have to name it," my grandmother added after I had fallen silent for a while. "There is no hurry."

I shook my head. "I think I already know a name," I whispered. I held the blade high above my head, the flames casting a golden glow on the walls and boxes of the attic.

"I call it Glorious," I said. "For it brings Heaven's glory to Earth and is just as fierce and glorious as angels themselves."

The sword made an almost humming noise in my hand, almost as if it had heard and acknowledged its new name. A feral grin formed on my face, feeling the vibrating and the heat that Glorious radiated even deep within my soul, it was stirring something deep within me.

Holding Glorious still above my head, I looked down at my grandmother, who was looking at me with an unreadable expression. "What is it?" I whispered, lowering the sword once more.

Elizabeth shook her head. "Holding that sword above your head and with that wild smile on your face," she replied, "you look just like an avenging angel."

"Wait here," she added, as if she just realized something. She walked back towards where she came, picked up another wooden box and went back towards me. Placing the box on the ground and kneeling down, she opened the lid and took out an item wrapped in a simple and rather old black cloth.

Unwrapping the cloth, she revealed a black-leather scabbard I assumed was for the sword. She held it out for me and I took it. "Every blade has a scabbard. This one here has tiny parts of Empyrean Steel and adamas – holy materials – forged into it, making it one of the few things in creation capable of sustaining the powers of the Archangel's Sword."