Blood Sacrifice: 20. Lured In Silence

The view of everything was crazy. The high school I went to for four years was burned down in orange flames and black smoke. Now it's nothing but ash and a remembrance to all the students that went there. 

Firetrucks had large hoses to water out the rest of the flames. Police officers are pushing everyone away so they don't get injured. New reporters were scattered everywhere with large cameras to report the incident.

"Ma'am please back up." An officer says to me because I got too close to the yellow tape surrounding the burned down building. He grabs my shoulder and Jesse grows alarmed, ripping his hand off of me. The officer hesitates until he realizes that it's me. "Oh my Queen Diana, I'm sorry." I wave my hand in front of him.

"Don't worry about it please." I kindly say so he doesn't feel bad. "Do you fully know the reason why it burned?" He scratches his mustache as if he's in deep thought. 

"No one knows yet but I think-" He eyes Jesse who is behind me silently before leaning close to my ear. "-It was those damn vampires." 

"You think?" 

"I know." He nods. "They're screwing with us. The thing keeping all of us sane is you. You're a human Queen with a vampire King. It gave us hope." I can't help but smile quickly. 

"Thank you." I end the conversation before walking away from him and sighing. My smile turns into a frown when I look up at Jesse. "Sorry that he said that in front of you."

"None taken. It doesn't bother me but-" He pauses before leaning into my ear. "-I don't think it was vampires." I pull away from being close to him and I chuckle. 

"You're just saying that because you're one and he basically shitted on your species." Jesse shrugs his shoulders and looks around the crowd of people standing in the schools parking lot. 

"No Diana I'm not an asshole. If a vampire wanted to get noticed they'd do something worst than burning down a random high school." I cross my arms over my chest and I raise my eyebrows. 

"Like what?"

"I don't know like eat people. Kill humans or maybe a whole town." Jesse points at the burned down school behind me and I can't help but turn around. "You think this was a sign of a rebellion from vampires?" 

"I don't know!" I shout and I grow furious because I don't know what to think. "Maybe we're both wrong and it was a group of dumb humans." He shrugs once more and stuffs his hands in his pants pockets.

"Maybe." He mutters back and I chew on the inside of my cheek in frustration. I silently look around at the faces surrounding me and some are familiar. Suddenly I pause at one who is also staring at me. 

"Diana?" She's far but I know she called my name in a low whisper. My face brightens in excitement and we both run to each other. 

"Shelia!" I shout before colliding into her and wrapping my arms around her. I haven't seen Madison's mother for months. I feel a bit damned for not visiting her and my heart grows heavy. Madison was my best friend until she died last year in the hands of Mr. Walsh. The man who ruined my life. 

She pulls away from me and grabs my cheeks, staring into my chocolate eyes. When I hold her I feel broken. She doesn't look the same ever since her daughter died. She's fragile and I'm scared that if I hug her tighter she'll break on me like a china doll. 

"You're safe." She mutters to me before kissing my forehead. 

"I'm safe." I whisper low to myself, hugging her again. 

"I can't believe this happened. Who would burn this school down!" Her eyes are glassy like she was crying before. Her lids are swollen and red and she's holding a tissue in one hand. She runs her hands down my arms then holds my hands tightly. "Diana you need to do something. Help all of us." I feel overwhelmed and I look away from staring into her eyes.