Clint Barton: Farmers Daughter

Prompt: Retirement

Clint was talking with Fred, an old farmer who need a helping hand. After the Avengers were handed on down to different recruits, Clint and a few of the others jumped at the chance for retirement.

Clint was in the backwoods of a town in the middle of nowhere. He had found a job as a farm hand, being paid to work on the farm and live in a small cabin in the woods. It was about half a mile walk to the house where Fred and his wife, Margaret, and two children that didn't live with them anymore. He was hired in January and start the planting in April-May. It was sometime in June that Clint was thinking about quitting.

The farm was a tiring life, wake up with the sun and go to sleep after the moon had risen. Work all day with the sun beating down on you, moving a tractor, milking cows, collecting eggs, the world. And Clint knew Fred needed the help but her also knew this wasn't what he wanted in his retirement.

Sunday was the only day off Fred gave him, Fred and Margaret went to church and Clint went into the woods with his bow and arrow.

That's where he was now. Patiently stalking a deer, tonight he would enjoy fresh meat homegrown from the farm. Fred owned about 100 acres of land but only farms 20 of it. Lived on another 10, and left the rest to the wild.

The deer was alone, grazing the grass around it, Clint slowly and quietly pulled the bowstring back and let it fly. The arrow struck right through the eye sockets. Saves more meat Clint thought as he hopped over to the now dead animal.

Once he had got it back, he brought it over to the shack, 40yards away from his cabin and he began to butcher it.

He wrapped up the good meat and deposed of the rest. Put the meat in the cellar and brought two packages up to his cabin. Once inside he looked around at his surroundings.

Right beside the door was a coat rack, above the door was a Browning .12 gauge shotgun. The kitchen was too straight ahead, the living before that, off to the left was to doors. Both bedrooms but only one bathroom attached to the one he had claimed. The other bedroom had a bed but he mostly piled boxes and junk in that room since he isn't living with anyone else.

He walked through the living into the kitchen, a modest one but enough for him. He set the venison to cook as he lit a fire in the living rooms fireplace then back to the kitchen to chop vegetables.

Like the quiet life but is boring as hell. He went out, worked, got paid, slept, and did it all over again. He missed chasing girls with Tony and Sam, he missed the missions with Steve and Nat, he even missed Barnes's deadpan face while doing paperwork. He needs the adrenaline rushes, the chance to use his skill, to go undercover, to roll his eyes at everything, to flirt, he missed it all. That is until you walked in.

He was in the middle of cutting a carrot when his front door busted open, startled he cut his finger, but quickly recovering enough to throw the knife into the door frame, stopping the intruder in their tracks. He grabbed another knife and held his bleeding finger to his chest.

"Woah! Settle down cowboy!" A female's voice called out to him.

"Well, you should have some manners and knock when you enter a man's home," Clint said still holding the knife.

"I don't think I need to when I assume it's a squatter. We've had them before."

"A squatter? Listen, lady, I happen to live here with the owner's consent since I happen to work my tail off for him every day." Clint heard the figure gasp and walk into the light.

"You're Clint?" The woman had (y/h/c) the fell to her (y/h/l) and the prettiest (y/e/c) he had ever seen.

"Yes?" He put the knife on the counter but left his hand close to it.

"Oh hi! I'm (y/n)! I'm Fred's and Margaret's daughter." You walked all the way in and up to Clint. "Did I make you cut your finger? I am so sorry, let me help you." Before Clint would say anything in protest you had dragged him to the sink and turned on the water, you stuck his thumb underneath the cool water and started tending to it.

"I can do it really, I've had plenty of practice." He tried to push away the beautiful girl but you remained.

"I'm going to school to get my Doctorate in medicine. If I can't tend to a simple cut I'm not worthy of being called a doctor."

"A doctorate? You look hardly older enough to have masters." Clint observed. Taking this chance to eye you figure up and down.

"I graduated early from high school and breezed through my bachelors and masters." You opened a cupboard and pulled out a band-aid that Clint had no idea was there.

"Lucky me then." He smiled at you and you smiled back quickly. "If you're going to school, what are you doing here? And why did you come down to my humble abode?"

"Oh right! Well, it's the summer time and I just ended my last semester. I don't have another one till fall, and well, my parents are getting old and I thought I might come help on the farm. I had heard about a farmhand but doubted the capabilities of him and decided to come back and help. I saw smoke coming through the treetops and knew it was coming from the cabin, so I came and investigated." You patted Clint's hand and placed a quick kiss onto his thumb. "All better."

"Thanks. I don't think I introduced myself. I'm Clint, the incapable farmhand at your service." He gave a mock bow which causes you to giggle.

"Sorry, most helpers my father hires don't make it past three months." You walked back to his carrot and finished cutting it.

"Well, I got here in February and it's June, so... I've done five months." He grabbed the next veggie and handed it to you to cut as he went and retrieved the one in the doorframe.

"Longer than most, what made you stay? No college, no girl, no excitement you left behind?" Clint walked back and grabbed a cutting board for him and another veggie.

"Heh, no. I went to a form of school, had a great job, and no girl. There were flings but nothing serious."

You hummed in response. "Why would you give up a 'great job' to come and farm?"

"Well, my employers didn't really need me anymore, so I retired. They would take me back if I wanted too." Clint went to the meat and finished prepping them for the stew he was making.

"What job was it?" You brought over the all the vegetables and dumped them into the large pot Clint had set up.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He chuckled, thinking of your response if he told you he was an Avenger.

"Try me." You folded your arms and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Let's just say I was in security." Clint put the stew on to boil and started to clean up. You quickly jumped at the chance to help him.

"That's it? Someone as good looking as you did security? Please, you were probably part of the CIA or something. And that's why you're here! Your hiding." You smiled at the thought.

Clint chuckled and shook his head. "Wrong. Though I had worked with them."

You huffed. "Well, I'll find out before I leave back to college. I should be heading back to the house. Thank you for not impaling me with a knife. I'll see you around Clint."

Clint nodded and walked you to the door, "See you around (y/n). And thanks for helping with dinner. Tell your pop I'll be there in the morning to start plowing." You nodded and walked away. Grabbing the rifle you had brought and a lantern you head left on the porch you waved a goodbye.

Clint closed the door and walked back to his now finished stew. The farmer's daughter eh? I might stick around a little longer.

Should I do a part 2? I'm trying to get through all the prompts but if you want the second part, go ahead and comment! Also, I am very proud of myself for posting once a week😉

Later Agents,

Agent Lock