Hope (Captain Levi x Reader)

[E/C] eyes darted around the clearing in front of her, she remembered the days when this had been a bustling city full of love and life. The town square was almost always full and people smiled and went about their business... Everything changed 5 years ago though, the day they were attacked.

The colossal titan had poked his head over the wall and... [F/N] shuttered at the memory, the sound of the wall protecting Shiganshina breaking, the powerful wind that ripped citizens away and sent debris crashing down on them. Everyone was screaming and running, trying to retreat behind Wall Maria but then came the Armored Titan and with him, Wall Maria fell. In an attempt to retake the wall, 20% of the population was lost, Men and Women, Mothers and Fathers, forever lost in the wake of destruction. Now only Wall Rose stood between the last of humanity fell back and Titans that threatened to end it all.

Sadly, it also stood between [F/N] and humanity. For the last five years somehow the young woman had managed to survive, living among the Titans and the dead. Maybe it was because she was ill, maybe it was because she was so small but something about her kept the Titans from looking at her. It likely helped that she only ventured out after dark, using darkness and her height to her advantage.

Now the moon had risen high in the sky and [F/N] was gathering up all of the courage she had inside of her before slipping out of her hiding place and entering a dark alley way. Her feet made no sound as she ran through the quiet darkness. She had been alone with the titans for so long that she didn't have to see them to know where they were, she could hear them approaching even if they were walking.

Darting into an old shop, the female relaxed ever so slightly and began scavenging for any supplies she could use but stopped hearing a noise she recognized but hadn't heard in ages. "Horses..." Her voice was quiet, like she expected the titans to hear her breathe at this point. "The survey corps!" She said in an excited whisper as she ran back outside.

Suddenly, it was as if the titans didn't exist anymore, all she could think about was the fact there were humans nearby, very skilled humans at that. She closed her eyes and pinned down the general area the horses were in before taking off running again. She knew the fallen city like the back of her hand, she could catch them, that much she was certain of.

The sound of the galloping horses grew louder as she rounded corner after corner until it was almost deafening to her. Unable to stop her feet from moving, she ran into the middle of the road and everything around her stopped. The horses made distressed noises as they reared back not sure how to react to the dirt covered human in front of them. Disoriented cries of the soldiers accompanied the horses but [F/N]'s head was already spinning. hearing three sets of feet hit the ground, she sank to her knees, unable to move. One thought kept running through her mind as though it was on loop... Was she about to be saved?

"Miss?" The voice addressing her was clearly male, low and authoritative though it was laced heavily with concern.

"Erwin." A cold voice cut through the still silence, he sounded more on edge and rushed.

"Not now." The first man replied sharply, they had never encountered a survivor, it shouldn't have been possible, not this late after. "Mike." The man named Erwin called. "Get her to Wall Rose. Take her straight to headquarters and get her food and water, help get her cleaned up and we will give her any medical attention she may need as soon as we get back." He said firmly.

"Yes commander!"

Erwin quickly picked up [F/N] and carried her to a nearby horse handing her up to the awaiting male, shortly after she felt the horse turn and break off into a gallop. If she could just get through the wall, she would be safe again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[E/C] eyes stared down at the food placed before her as she debated whether or not it would even be edible. She wasn't sure after scavenging for so long that her stomach could even handle a meal. She did down several glasses of water though, dehydration was no joke.

"Where is she?" She heard a voice ask as she looked up at the door, her eyes brimming with curiosity. Moments later the door opened and [F/N] got a good look at the ones that had stopped to save her life. The two men looked immensely different from each other, one tall with slicked back blonde hair and ocean blue eyes, the other short with dark hair and cold steel eyes. The woman accompanying them was of average height with brown hair and her green eyes had that crazy look visible. Somehow she could tell without them speaking that the blond was the commander and that the shorter male the one that had been so snippy with him when they found her.

"How are you feeling?" The blonde asked as he approached her, the same concern still lacing his words.

[F/N] looked up at him and nodded, her eyes still watched everything cautiously as though she was afraid that she would wake up still trapped with the titans. "I am good, thanks to you. If you hadn't stopped, I would still be struggling to survive."

The dark-haired man scoffed a bit. 'If we hadn't stopped you would have been trampled by horses.' He thought to himself.

"How did you survive?" The brunette woman asked. She seemed far too excited about all of this, giving [F/N] the creeps.

Still, she felt she had to answer, they had saved her after all. After thinking of the best way to answer, [F/N] finally opened her mouth. "Well... Hiding mostly. I I used the dark and the silence to stay out of the titans' focus... They aren't necessarily the brightest creatures. As for food..." She glanced at the plate in front of her, finding her appetite still hadn't returned. "Let's just say I ate some less than pleasant things to keep myself alive." Her eyes seemed more vacant as she spoke, something the raven-haired male picked up on easily.

Erwin and the brunette kept an eye on her, trying to study her with some kind of gross fascination that made even his skin crawl.

"Erwin... Levi... This could be our way to get information on the titans, she lived with them."

"Hange..." The dark-haired male, Levi, said in a warning and threatening tone. "She has been through enough. We are not going pester her on top of that. She is not Jaegar, she is not one of your experiments."

To be honest, [F/N] was grateful for the interference. She didn't want to talk about the things she had done or the massacre she had witnessed.

Erwin had spotted the look on her face as she allowed herself to get lost in thought, but even while he felt bad for her, he found himself curious. She had truly lived with them, she knew more about those monstrosities than any of the rest of them.

Suddenly a firm calloused hand gripped [F/N]'s wrist and pulled her from the room, surprisingly gentle and protective.

Her eyes traveled from the hand, up the arm and to his face, it was Levi. He had seen the pushy look on Erwin's face, a look he had not exactly expected to see. "Sorry about them, Erwin isn't usually like that." He said in a rather monotone voice.

[F/N] just watched him as she walked with him. For the first time in five years, she actually felt safe... For the first time in five years, she felt like maybe, humanity had hope.