Trust: Soulmate AU (L x Reader)

Imagine: Every night you receive a message about a random sentence your soulmate has said that day.

[Y/N] yawned lightly as she flipped through the television channels looking for something, anything interesting she could fall asleep to. Suddenly, her phone buzzed and she drove out of bed and across the room. The only time she got messages this late at night was when they were quotes from her soulmate sent through the soulmate fate app. "What wisdom do you have for me today, oh smart soulmate of mine?"

Over the years [Y/N] has learned her soulmate was an absolute genius and that he was orphaned. Like most other people she wish desperately to know what it had showed her soulmate about her. She was a gamer and worked full-time... Hopefully it hadn't sent him any work conversations... those could get very interesting.

Shaking her head clear, [Y/N] opened the app staring at the blue text she was so used to. 'Say what you want, but I will be taking the cake.'

[Y/N] blinked several times before sighing. "Well that doesn't help me figure this out at all!" She said tossing her phone is side before flopping back down on her bed.

"Stupid, stupid, stup-" She stopped and set up immediately. "That's it! Oh my God this app is amazing!" She said resetting her alarm clock for earlier in the morning. This wasn't the first time one of his quotes had mentioned sugar and she had reason to believe that she lived in the same city as him. "I have a good feeling that my soulmate will be at the bakery in the morning so I will be too."

Settling into bed [Y/N] smiled, falling asleep almost instantly. 'I will see you soon... Soulmate.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Y/N] sat alone in one of the busiest bakeries in the city watching every single person that walked through the door. Every person made her hope dwindle more and more until finally someone walked in the door reminding her of her message a few days ago. Quickly as she pulled up the app and scrolled through looking for one in particular.

"Bingo!" She yelped as she stood rushing over to the set of men not caring that half of the bakery was staring at her. "Excuse me? I..." She paused. Her soulmate had mentioned Kira before. "My name is Jacee... I was just wondering did one of you by chance say this?"

She held her phone out to the two boys who read it carefully. 'Besides, as long as we're handcuffed together, you and I share the same fate.'

The brunette looked at the slouching male beside him. "Is your place bugged?" He asked accusingly.

The slouching one reread the message again before scrolling through some of the others. "So that's what it tells you... Interesting." He said before looking at her. His dark eyes watched her closely. "It's nice to meet you Jacee."

[Y/N] felt like the world was spinning as the brunette steadied her. "It's you... I actually found you." She muttered.

"Technically, I found you. You've talked about this place before and last night's message said you would be here so I came to find you." He said plainly causing the brunette beside him to sigh.

"Please, forgive Ryuzaki. His people skills are a bit... Lackluster." He said shaking his head.

The female seem to be completely oblivious to the brunette now as she stumbled into an awkward hug with her soulmate. "It's really you." She said happily as she backed up studying him lately. 'Ryuzaki' was a bit pink from the unexpected but surprisingly welcomed physical contact.

"Of course it's really me. Why would someone lie about being your soulmate?" 'Ryuzaki' asked slightly bored, confused, and offended.

Light sighed and facepalmed. "Dude, people do that. They do it because they're jerks and get a sick twisted pleasure from the misfortune of others." He told the ravenette. "To be honest, I am surprised that she even believed you. Most people require proof."

[Y/N] shook her head. "That's the thing though isn't it. Your soulmate is someone you should trust unconditionally. Needing proof from the person your soul was made for defeats the purpose."

'Ryuzaki' watched her lightly, studying her still in a way. If Light was right and people lied for their own sick gain and [Y/N] wanted to believe her soulmate unconditionally, how many times has she been lied to and hurt?

[Y/N] watched him in return, catching the hint of sadness in his eyes. "Hey, don't be sad for me. Any pain I experience made me who I am today. I am stronger now."

Light rolled his eyes. The optimism while nice in this day and age, was also highly annoying. "Ryuzaki, you found her, can you just exchanged phone numbers now and let me go back? I need to study."

[Y/N] was careful not to let the pain of that realization show. "Oh. Yeah, that makes sense, sorry to keep you." She said writing her phone number down on a napkin. "I should be heading to work soon anyway."

'Ryuzaki' nodded and took the number from her carefully. "I will call you soon."

[Y/N] give a small smile to him before bowing and leaving quickly. She really didn't want him to see her upset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Y/N] had not seen or heard from her soulmate other than the little quote she got daily from that app in weeks. Had she been wrong? Was he not who she thought he was? She shook her head, no... He had to be her soulmate. It hurt too much to not hear from him.

"Hey [L/N]..." Her co-worker and friend Matsuda said poking his head into her office. "You haven't done anything but work lately, don't you think you should get some rest?" [Y/N] worked as a criminal behavioral analyst and she was damn good at it but ever since she had begun to believe 'Ryuzaki'i had lied and then noticed how much it hurt to not see him... All she could do was work.

"Not now Matsuda. This case is really important and I'm really close to cracking him."

Matsuda sighed and looked over his shoulder. "See?" He muttered to whoever was behind him.

"It's impolite to talk about people behind their backs." [Y/N] said firmly before looking at him and freezing.

"Some people would also say it's rude to ignore your soulmate when they come to visit." [Y/N] stared at him, thank God he looked exactly the same as last time except...

"The handcuffs... Did you catch Kira?" She asked him curiously.

'Ryuzaki nodded. "That's why I couldn't see you or message you... I knew Light was Kira and I was worried he would go after you... [Y/N]."

[Y/N] smiled, that confirmed everything she had been so sure of. She stood and ran to him, wrapping her arms around him tightly. "I love you L."