Serenade for Two: Soulmate AU (Shin-Ah x Reader)

Imagine: A unique song is imprinted in your mind that only you and your soulmate know.

In all the years that [Y/N] worked in the castle, never once did she hum the song that echoed through her mind and flowed through her veins. She didn't want anyone to hear it and pretend to be her soulmate. Looking back now, that selfishness might have cost her her happiness.

With what felt like the millionth sigh that day, [Y/N] rested her head in her hands. Which Soo-Won killing their king and most of the guards and servants that fault back being slaughtered, [Y/N] had lost all hope.

"What's got her so gloomy?" Yoon asked as he focused on cooking.

"Perhaps she dislikes the strange crawling creatures and wishes for a real bed." Kija whined as normal as he picked the leaves and twigs from his long white hair.

Hak was quick to hush the dragon warrior, "Maybe you shouldn't talk about things that don't concern you White Snake."

Yona frowned. "Hak, that wasn't nice. We are all on the same team, they have the right to know at least part of the story."

Hak shock his head, "That's not your story to tell princess. She has to decide if she wants to tell anyone." Hak said before walking over and sitting by [Y/N] speaking to her and hushed tones.

"The lightning beast seems close to her." Yoon said softly as he glance at the pair.

Yona nodded. "[Y/N] was really young when her parents sold her to be a castle servant. Hak was the one who is always there to help her and to protect her like an older brother. With everything that happened at the castle she's lost the only family and home that she has ever known." She was watching her handmaiden with true sympathy in her eyes.

Kija frowned, "I can see why she would be so sad if that is the case."

"That's not everything, that's just what I have the right to talk about." Yona said softly. Back at the castle her past had never been a secret, everyone knew that [Y/N] had been sold off.

Yoon nodded. "I take it the the rest is the part the lightning beast doesn't want anyone to talk about." With the interactions he had had with [Y/N], he had a fairly good guess about what had her so upset. "Come and eat. We have an early morning tomorrow."

Kija nodded. "Now that I have located the blue dragon we can get him to help us." Kija said clearly excited about the idea of having another dragon at his side to help him protect Yona.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Y/N] sighed sadly as she leaned against the fallen boulders next to Yona. When the roof had collapsed one of the rocks had struck her head giving her a nice-sized gash along her hairline. As far as she was concerned they were all going to die down there. With no hope of escape, it didn't seem to matter anymore so [Y/N] sat on the ground and wiped some of the blood off her face before she began to softly hum the pretty melody that had been with her since birth. The tune was beautiful but it had underlying sadness.

Yona paused, despite both of them being practically raised together, Yona had never heard this song.

"Her soulmate song." Yoon said softly. "She thought they had died at the castle and now she's giving up." Yoon said sadly, he couldn't lie, things certainly were looking very grim.

After a moment of listening to the sad girl humming, the masked man they had entered the caverns to find pulled out his sword and began chipping away at the wall. He wasn't going to let them die down there, especially not her or the princess.

Kija looked at Yona. "You should sit next to [Y/N], we will get you out of here as fast as we can." He said as he joined the other male using his dragonclaw to try to dig them out.

Yoon watched only for a few seconds before picking up a sharp rock, they had promised Hak that they would protect the girls, they couldn't let him down now. "Yona, see if you can slow the bleeding. Find something to wrap around her head."

Yona nodded and glanced around, she was going to just rip her dress when a strip of fabric dangled in front of her. She glanced up to find herself staring at that white horn mask. He had removed the fabric from over his right wrist so that the princess could use it as a bandage. "Thank you blue dragon." She said warmly before beginning to wrap the girls wound.

"Princess..." [Y/N] whispered. "I... I'm sorry." She said as her eyes began to droop. "I don't want to leave you alone."

"Shh." Yona said softly as she held [Y/N] close to her. "You aren't going anywhere. You're staying here with me and you're going to help me restore the kingdom. Kija, Yoon, and the blue dragon are going to get us out of here. I promise." She frowned looking down at her handmaiden. "[Y/N]? [Y/N] wake up, stay with me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Humming... Someone is humming my song.' [Y/N] thought drowsily. Her head was aching but after a moment she began to come around and could feel someone petting her hair as they hummed her song "How... How do you know that song?" She asked as she opened her eyes to find her head resting in the blue dragon's lap.

"We are soulmates." The dragon warrior said softly. "I heard you start humming it in the cave and I knew." To [Y/N], his voice was soft but it had its own special melody, just like their song did.

[Y/N] felt complete just like that. The tragedies in her past felt insignificant as she reached for his mask. The male panicked a bit and jerked away. "It's okay. I trust you not to hurt me so please, just trust me." She said, slowly reaching back out for his mask. This time he stayed still and slowly [Y/N] took the mask off to find herself staring into beautiful golden eyes.

Shin-Ah, as Yona had named him, stared at the injured girl afraid to even breathe. What if he hurt her with his eyes? He would never be able to live with himself if he hurt his soulmate. He blinked feeling something soft and warm against his lips. It took him a second to realize that she was kissing him and a moment longer to return the kiss himself, but the moment he did he felt electricity run through his veins causing he to carefully pull her closer. In the cool, quiet evening the two soulmate shared their first kiss while listening to a serenade that only they could hear.