May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor (Katniss Everdeen x Male!Reader)

I received a request a couple of months ago from Ravuswolf to write a Katniss x Male!Reader Oneshot, he wanted the reader to have social anxiety as well. Now I am not a male but I do have social anxiety so I am going to use some of my own experiences for this one shot, sorry if males with social anxiety don't have these issues and Ravus, I hope you like this.

[E/C] eyes looked around the the deserted streets of District 12. It was nearly time... The Reaping for the 74th hunger games... [Y/N] was old enough to be pick but he had been lucky so far. He doubted that he would last long at all. He was good with medicine and herbs not with killing. He couldn't even kill a mouse. He was snapped out of his thoughts as people began to file out of the houses. [Y/N] swallowed hard as he looked at his feet and went with the flow of people just reminding himself how to breathe. He hated having anxiety and it was always a million times worse during the Reaping. Not only because there was a chance he could be picked to go die... There were too many people trapped in the town square, all of them standing shoulder to shoulder.

[Y/N] easily tuned everyone and everything out around him too consumed by his own thoughts. What was the point of listening anyway? He didn't want to know which one of his friends were about to be taken off like lambs to the slaughter.

"[F/N] [L/N]!"

The words rang through the air and time stopped. [Y/N] Could no longer think or breathe... It felt like all the oxygen had been sucked from his lungs and he couldn't move. His name just kept ringing through his ears. 'I got picked... They drew my name... I am going to die.' Was all he could think. It had all seemed like a cruel joke until the people around him began to shift away from him and the enforcers grabbed his arms, pulling him to the front podium with the other tribute, a girl close to his age who had volunteered in order to save her sister.

His eyes stared start ahead, unblinking, though he couldn't make out a single face in the crowd. Everyone seemed alien and unfriendly to him suddenly and he struggled to keep his composure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flew by for [Y/N] after they arrived in the Capital. He was not the best at combat and he kept his skills hidden from everyone wanting to keep his hand close to his chest until it was time to bet it all. He was very popular in the Capital being mislabeled as the 'strong, silent type', the other tributes knew better though, they could see through him and knew he was absolutely terrified. Katniss Everdeen, the other tribute from District 12 stayed surprisingly close to the [H/C] boy shocking most people and leading to interesting rumors from the viewers. Katniss was beautiful, brave, and tough as nails... That was where most people thought that her good traits came to an end. She was cold, abrasive, and had poor people skills.

[Y/N] was the exact opposite... Because he was concerned about how people viewed him and what they thought about him, he went above and beyond to make sure he seemed friendly and very pleasant. If he was going to die first he wanted to make sure that he was remembered for something. He didn't want to be one of those people who was forgotten when he died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A groan of pain escaped [Y/N]'s chapped lips as he leaned against a nearby tree trying to swallow the agony he was feeling and catch his breath. He could feel the blood running down his leg, hidden by his black pants... His shoe was already filling with the blood he was quickly losing. "Shit..." He muttered feeling woozy. He pushed off the tree and stumbled towards a nearby stream. "This will have to do." He whispered as he sat on some rocks on edge of the water.

He knew he was seriously injured but he refused to show how bad it hurt, not unless he absolutely had too.

After bracing himself, he took off his belt and tied it tightly around his leg just above his knee. "Damn it this is going to suck." He whispered using his dagger to cut off his pant leg just below his make-shift tourniquet, revealing the bone deep gash on his calf. He was sure the capital had collectively gasped knowing how many fans he had earned before being sent to the arena.

"I got the bastard back." he muttered reminding the capital that he had killed the career that had gotten him. Taking a deep breath he submerged his leg in the water trying to wash away as much blood, dirt, and debris that he could, but he damn near lost consciousness from shoving his leg in the water. His face paled drastically before he grabbed some herbs near the bank and shoved them into his mouth, they were known painkillers though they would take longer to take affect then medicine from the capital.

"Katniss..." His voice was weak and cracked a lot, that was probably a good thing though. He didn't really want her to see him like this, they had been separated before he had gotten wounded.

"[Y/N]!!" He looked away from his leg hearing the feminine voice calling for him.

As much as he didn't want her to see him in this condition he couldn't stop himself from calling for her. "I'm here Katniss." He dug through his bag hoping to find something to use to stitch up his leg. He smiled seeing a pin in his bag and began unraveling some twine. "This will just have to do." He said trying to calm his racing heart. He stopped hearing running through the tree and his eyes darted around the darkness trying to pin where the sound was coming from, if it was anyone other than Katniss, he was dead.

"[Y/N]!" Katniss shouted in relief as she ran over to him with something in her hands. The small metal container was familiar.

"Is that..." He asked struggling to sound okay.

Katniss nodded. "The note said Don't let him die. I knew it had to be you since it came to me."

[Y/N] watched as she removed the lid revealing a strange grey paste. "Medicine..." He breathed relieved. "Katniss... I am going to need you to put it on the wound. I can't." He was starting to shake to much he would just cause more damage than good.

Katniss nodded and hurried to his side helping him up before letting him lean on her, making sure that he didn't put weight on his leg. "You aren't allowed to leave me [Y/N]... You promised we would make it home together." She tried to sound calm but her heart was pounding, she was so afraid he wouldn't make it.