#10 A Helpline

(General POV)

Kotoko decides to go to the summer house after resting for one day at home. She wanted to make sure that she wouldn't be a burden to grandma Yoshida. She called grandma to inform her that she will be arriving tomorrow morning. Grandma happily replied that she will be waiting. Kotoko rested the whole morning. After lunch she went to Hope and cleared her all dues for yesterday. Then she went shopping and bought all the necessary things she will need in the next two weeks, such as her medicines, bandages, small pulling luggage and gifts for grandma Yoshida. She stayed very careful for the rest of the day so that no one notices her bandages.

Next morning she went to the summer house. She has decided she will confess everything to grandma Yoshida. When she reached the summer house she immediately hugged grandma carefully. When grandma inquired about her hand she said she will explain later. She called home and informed them that she already reached. In the afternoon, grandma asked Kotoko again how she injured herself. Kotoko hesitated. She wanted to be truthful to at least one person. But she was worried grandma might tell anyone at Tonan hospital or might even tell Naoki. So she only told her that her mother's disease was triggered due to conceiving her and she might not ever conceive due to some complications. She didn't tell anyone this because she didn't want to worry anyone and she wants Naoki to achieve his goal without any hindrances. But she didn't tell her about having Neuroshia and about the injuries, she said that she wasn't paying attention and she fell from the stairs due to which she fractured her ribs and injured the wrist. She ran away to the summer house to clear her mind. She wants to start her treatment but she is scared. What if things go wrong? She didn't tell grandma that she might die. She cried for a long time. Grandma Yoshida was shocked. She was literally speechless. She hugged and patted Kotoko's shoulders and let her cry all she wanted.

The care-taker who was assigned to take care of grandma was a very kind woman. She saw Kotoko upset and didn't bother them. Instead she cooked delicious dinner for them. Grandma didn't let Kotoko sleep alone and insisted to share her room. Kotoko didn't object. She also didn't want to be alone. Kotoko slept early that night. Kotoko's cell rang around mid night. Grandma thought for a second before deciding to answer the call.

...

(Naoki POV)

Kotoko didn't call yesterday, neither today. 'Baka! You should at least inform after you reach there.' It was midnight. I decided to call her anyway. After a few rings the call was answered, but it wasn't Kotoko who answered.

"Hello? Irie sensei?"

"Grandma Yoshida?" I asked.

"Yes. Kotoko went to sleep early."

"Oh, I understand."

"Your wife talks in her sleep. It's so fun to watch her sleep." She laughed.

'Oh I miss that so much!' The thought saddened me.

"She must be giving you a hard time." I told her.

"No not at all. You should worry about her. She is the one having a hard time, not me." Grandma sounded serious but then laughed. I laughed hearing that. These two really are a perfect competition to each other.

"How are you grandma? I heard you were in the hospital again. Is everything alright?" I asked her.

"Hospital? When?" Grandma sounded confused.

"Didn't you get discharged the day before yesterday?" I wondered. Grandma was quiet for a while.

"Where did you hear this from?" Grandma asked instead of answering.