#14 Hope

It's been 3 months since Kotoko joined Hope as a nurse. But it didn't even take 3 weeks for everyone at Hope to find out that she was just as clumsy and loud as a nurse like when she was as an assistant. However they weren't surprised. Her fellow colleagues and friends already knew her through and through. They loved her bubbly character and admired her capability of working so hard. She didn't have much works as an assistant. She only arranged Dr. Ayano's schedules and organised his research works. She did mess up a few things at the beginning but then she got better. She also studied at lot. 

The nurses Izumi Hana and Kiyoshi Mio who were the nurses in charge during her treatment became her closest friends. They accompanied her and helped her in study all the time. They also guided her and constantly monitored her. Not only because she was ill herself, but also as they knew she will cause ruckus from time to time. They completely believed that she had some kind of magnet attached to her which only attracts troubles. But she improved since the last month. The first 2 months were a total disaster. She was scolded by the head nurse all the time for the fundamental mistakes. The patients were terrified of her because she was really bad at collecting blood. Well she isn't perfect at that yet but was much better than the beginning.

...

It was just another normal morning. It is in past tense because- it isn't normal anymore. There had been a serious car accident and four teen boys were brought to emergency. Two of them had head injuries and were transferred to the neurology department. Kotoko and Hana rushed with Dr. Ayano, Dr. Shinju and two other neurosurgeons to assist in the operations. But Dr. Ayano held her back before she could enter the operation theater.

"Kotoko, you stay out of this operation. Send Mio instead of you."

"Why?" She was bewildered. Dr. Ayano never stopped her before. In fact he was the one who always encouraged her staying positive and working just like all the nurses do.

"No time to explain. Do it now." He ordered and went inside leaving her.

Although Kotoko felt bad but she did what she was told to do. Dr. Ayano must have had a reason. She went back into the nurse station and dropped on a chair.

...

(Kotoko POV)

What did I do wrong now? I tried to think harder wrinkling my eyebrows. But I couldn't remember any mistakes. Ahh I don't know. Whatever. I pouted, folding my arms. Lunch time was approaching so I decided to have my lunch. I couldn't wait for Mio or Hana as I have to take medicine after my lunch. I was nearly done eating when Hana and Mio joined me with lunch trays in their hands.

"Hi, dazed queen." Mio grinned at me. And yes, that's what he calls me. Dazed queen! Because, apparently he finds it amusing that I have my own little world, where I seem to explore from time to time regardless of my surroundings. I glared at him in answer.

"What did you do now Kotoko?" Hana asked me sitting beside me while Mio sat across me.

"I don't know! I don't remember messing up anything." I pouted at my food.

"Did you take Nana-chan for the MRI on time?" Hana inquired.

"Yes, I did."

"What about Saki-san? Did you check on him?"

"Yes, and he is fine. I don't mess up with the patients anymore." I pouted at her again.

"Aww... Don't worry so much. Probably it wasn't serious enough since the head nurse didn't scold you yet." Mio said casually biting on his food.