#13 A little Shock (part two)

(Naoki POV)

The phone kept ringing but nobody answered. I sighed. Kotoko must be busy. But she just got home! I set down the phone on the table and went to kitchen to grab a bottle of cold water.

 Oka-san had called me just now to ask why I didn't tell her last time that Kotoko wasn't moving to Kobe. She will be continuing her work at Hope. I wasn't aware of that so I told her the truth that I didn't know. Oka-san was surprised by that but I bet she was not more surprised than I was. 

I drank the cold water hoping that would calm my senses but it didn't help. I was still breathing fast. To be entirely honest, I did have a hunch that Kotoko might want to continue at Hope. She was trying her best there which I could comprehend and she also wanted to help in the treatment of Neuroshia in any way she can. I understand her. I really understand why it was so important to her. She must really want to find the cure of the disease her mother had. Being a part of that research team must make her feel that she was doing something for her late mother and I understand that. I really do! But then why... why am I feeling miserable? 

I returned to my room and started pacing around it. I wanted to talk to her. I need to talk to her. I don't know for how long I was wondering around my own room until suddenly my phone rang and I rushed to pick it up. It has to be her.

"Hello?" I said, hoping it was Kotoko as I didn't even check the caller id before I answered.

"Hi Irie-kun. How are you doing?" The voice said, soothing my every sense straight away.

"Good." I lied as I felt the total opposite in that precise moment. But I wasn't going to tell her that. "Are you busy?" I asked her hesitantly.

There was silent on the other side. It was kind of weird to ask her that as this was the exact same question that she always asks me around. She must have felt equally weird hearing it since she wasn't speaking. I felt slightly guilty knowing how she always feels.

"No, I am not!" She replied after a moment. "I was in the bath when you called earlier." Surprise was evident in her voice.

"Oh..." I paused wondering what to ask next.

"What were you doing?" She asked me.

"Thinking." I replied truthfully.

"What?" She was amazed.

"Umm... Nothing." I didn't want to elaborate. I waited for her to talk. She was quiet for a moment, probably wondering what I was thinking and what she should say next.

"Irie-kun, I... have good news?" She hesitated, making the statement sounding like a question. Her confusion made me realize right then that she wasn't expecting me or my family to be surprised at her decision. Since she already works at Hope, it was only natural for her to join it officially. Applying at Tonan and resigning at Hope was quite ridiculous.

I don't know about the others, but I couldn't help being shocked for this because, I always believed she would choose me over anything and everything that exists on this planet. This might sound arrogant, but that was the power of her love talking. Although, her staying at Tokyo did cross my mind when I found her being so engrossed with her work at Hope, but I still ignored it then. I really wanted her to come to me at Kobe. But since it was my decision to leave her at Tokyo and move to Kobe alone, doesn't matter if it was for her own benefit, it was now her turn to decide if she wanted to stay at Tokyo or move to Kobe. I will respect her every decision, well only those which makes sense to be precise. I composed my voice before I talked.

"What news?"

"I kind of got hired as a nurse in the Neuro-Hope Hospital." She paused.

"Kind of?" I almost laughed at that.

"No, I mean I really got hired as a nurse in Hope. As you know, I was working as an assistant for Dr. Ayano until now. Since now I passed my exams, he offered me the position."

"That is wonderful Kotoko." I responded in a much more calmed voice than I thought I would.

"I was already working for him so he just made it official. I thought everyone would know..." Her voice drifted off and she fell silent.

I felt guilty hearing that. Of course I should have known. It was obvious she would work there. It's a fantastic opportunity for her. I was being too arrogant and blind not to see it.

"Don't worry Kotoko. Everyone will understand you. Your work is important and you should just concentrate on that."

"Thank you so much for understanding." Her voice relaxed making me guiltier if that was possible. She must have matured a lot over the past year. She was thinking more rationally than I was in this case. She was worried I wouldn't understand her.

"Baka." I told her, smiling on my own.

"Huh?" She said.

"I will miss you." I mumbled on the phone.

"Huh?" She repeated louder. She was definitely wondering if she heard that right. I chuckled. Expressing my feelings was always really tough for me. I preferred warm embraces and passionate kisses over words. But these options seemed far away now than I assumed.

"When will you join?" I asked her, putting a stop to whatever she was thinking.

"This week." She replied.

"Well, do your best." I encouraged her, ignoring the slight disappointment due to the fact that she won't be visiting Kobe.

"Yeees." She said happily. I smiled.

"Get some rest now." I said.

"Okay. Thank you Irie-kun. I Loooove you."

"I love you too... Kotoko." I replied softly and ended the call. I really wanted to tell her that. I really meant every word I just told her over the phone. I really missed her. I wasn't expecting her to say anything more. She always loses the ability to speak whenever I tell her that I loved her. She would have hugged me right now if we were together. We have been married for so long, but her reaction is exactly the same as it was the first time I confessed to her. I grinned. I knew I would be fine once I talked to her. She is like the light for me in my darkest time. Whenever I stumble due to indecision, she acts like the guiding light to me. She helps me find the path. She makes my life so easier just by being with me. I didn't believe miracles could happen. But now I do. Because it happened to me and she is the miracle of my life. The miracle that, I loved with my entire life.