#23 The Final Blow

(Naoki POV)

Yuki returned home early dropping Konomi at her home. I was reading a book on Neurology sitting on a couch to divert my mind. I was feeling worried and uneasy about Kotoko being so ill all the time. I need to talk to her but she looked so tired with the mild fever. That was rather surprising. I remained downstairs so that she could sleep early without any distraction.

"I'm home. Why are you still awake?" Yuki asked me.

"Welcome home. I was waiting for you all."

"Oh... you didn't have too. Oka-san didn't plan this for you to wait for us." He smirked pointedly. I scowled at him.

"Good night." I told him and started to walk out of the room.

"Umm... Oni-chan?" He called me suddenly. I looked back at him stopping on my track. "Can I have a word with you? Since you are still awake." He added.

"What is the matter?" I asked moving closer to him.

"What did Kotoko tell you about her report?" He asked me unexpectedly. I didn't reply anything immediately.

"She said her reports were normal and she will show me those when I return home. I suppose she will show me tomorrow morning." I replied.

We were both distracted enough to forget about that tonight I guess. I mentally added.

"I hope she will." He said slowly.

"Is something wrong Yuki?" I asked him. My heart was beating faster slightly.

"It's just that... I asked her to show me her allergic reports multiple times but she always avoided that with some excuses. I didn't think about it too much because I thought you knew. But that isn't the case anymore..." He paused. I skipped a heartbeat.

"Are you suspecting anything?" I asked him.

"I didn't... not until you arrived." I raised a brow at him hearing that. "Let me explain." He continued. "At first I didn't notice anything. As I told you before, I took her to the emergency after she had her breathing problem for the first time. The doctor who attended her asked me if I was her family. Then, told me to keep an eye on her always because she was weak which was true as she keeps falling ill every now and then and not to let her touch alcohol ever again. After that I tried to do as the doctor said but it seemed impossible seeing she practically started living in that hospital. She started working in the longer shifts. Sometimes if she was too late her nurse colleagues dropped her home. I believed she was working too much just to keep herself busy as oka-san said. Also she seemed obsessed about her research and the patient because she studied hard." He stopped.

"What is your point?" I asked him dreading that I already knew the answer.

"A few months ago I found her fainted in her bedroom." He said looking down.

"What?" I couldn't keep my voice normal. I felt like the hairs on my shoulders were standing.

"She studied the whole morning that day. According to her she was dehydrated. I called you but you didn't receive my call and when she was back on her senses, she pleaded to keep that a secret from everyone and I don't know why but I obliged. I suddenly remembered that on the day you went to Kobe and thought I should tell you."

I just nodded at him and didn't say anything. I was trying to think but my head seemed heavier.

"I'm not sure what to think but I suddenly realised she gets ill frequently and that doesn't sound good. What do you think?" He asked me.