#20 The First Blow

(Naoki POV)

"How is Kotoko-chan?" Oka-san asked.

"She is asleep now." I answered.

"What happened to her suddenly?" Kotoko's father asked no one in particular.

"I think she ate the food that was made with mixing a little alcohol." Yuki said.

"Oh no... I ordered that. I should have been careful." My father said shaking his head.

I was clearly missing something as their conversation sounded puzzling to me. I took a deep breath and finally ask the question that was eating me inside.

"Why does she have an inhaler?" I looked around at them all just to see their outraged faces staring back at me.

I knew it instantly that everyone else knew about it since I was the only one petrified at the sight of the inhaler in the restaurant. But I couldn't panic or look for answers immediately as I had to keep my head cool to give her the first aid. But inside I felt as if my heart froze.

"Pardon me, what?" My mother sounded shocked.

"Why does she have an inhaler?" I repeated my question again. My heart was beating faster than it should.

Why is everyone acting like I have questioned why the sun rises!

"As a precaution? Her doctor must have told her to carry it around all the time." Yuki replied. He was looking at me with confusion, as if wondering if I have lost my mind.

"Excuse me? Her doctor? What?" I was dumbfounded. Everyone was silent for a while.

"You... you mean... you don't know that she sometimes gets breathing difficulty?" Yuki asked slowly.

"Breathing... breathing difficulty?" I was so shocked that I felt short of breathe myself.

Yuki gaped at me. He didn't talk for a while.

"What do you mean Naoki? Didn't Kotoko tell you that she had developed allergy to alcohol?" My father asked.

I was simply stunned by the piece of information. I didn't even know what to reply to that. I just gaped at them. They got the answer they needed from my reaction.

"It's been a while Naoki. I thought she must have told you." Kotoko's father said. I remained silent.

"She can't intake alcohol anymore. She gets difficulty in breathing and also body swelling." Yuki said. "The first time when we found out about this, it was a mess. She just drank a little alcohol and had severe breathing problem and swelling. I took her to the emergency of the hospital she works. But she was fine within 30 minutes probably. They gave her oxygen and some medicines. After that she never touched alcohol... well until today I guess."

"I... Why... no one ever mentioned..." I mumbled.

"We thought Kotoko told you Naoki." Oka-san said who sounded angry.

"She... didn't." I said in a small voice.

"Well, we can see that! No wonder she didn't." Oka-san snapped. I looked up at her feeling lost.

"You have been to Kobe for nearly a year and a half Naoki. Why couldn't you just ever visit once for goodness' sake? Career isn't everything. It's your duty to check up on your family too. She must have been really upset that you didn't care and that must be why she didn't tell you." Oka-san's voice cracked near the end.

But I care! I care! I care!

My inside was screaming. But I didn't say anything. I was too ashamed to say anything at all. Oka-san was right. I could have visited if I wanted. I could have taken at least one day off for my family. But I was too busy with work. I just thought if I don't take one day off, that would mean it is one day early, I will return home finishing all my works permanently. But that sounds like a joke now. I just sat there staring at the floor, feeling lost.