#12 A Little Shock (part one)

(Kotoko POV)

A week has already passed since my result came out. I had to restrain myself with difficulty from running off to Kobe. I'm sure, the minute Irie-kun will see me he will know I'm not okay. I am like an open book to him. Nothing can escape his sharp eyes. I read a book on neurology whole afternoon. I had been studying neurology since the previous few months very hard along with my academic works. Amazingly I found out that nothing is too difficult when you try your best. Besides, nothing is boring when you are desperate. I'm glad that I finally found out what field I liked and it was neurology. I wouldn't kid myself saying it's easy, but I wouldn't say it's not my cup of tea either. At least I didn't found myself throwing the books out of the window or banging my head on a wall, yelling. On the contrary, I actually quite enjoyed it. I went downstairs at the evening. Oka-san was in the kitchen preparing dinner. I joined to help her.

"Kotoko-chan, let's go for shopping tomorrow." She told me after a while.

"Okay. What do you want to buy?" I asked her.

"New cloths for everyone. It's been a while since we went shopping, isn't it?" She replied delightfully.

"Yap." I agreed with her. But then suddenly I felt guilty. "I'm sorry oka-san. I stay too busy and don't give you enough time."

"Don't be silly dear." She said kindly. "You do more than anyone else in this house. You keep the house warm you know?"

I offered her a big smile. I felt so touched that my eyes filled with water. I gave her a back hug. She patted my hands. Then I started to chop some vegetables.

"We should buy something for Naoki too. Don't you think?" She asked me.

"Umm okay... Is he coming home for a visit?" I asked her with hesitation.

"No, he is not. He is busy with his thesis. He said he will visit after he is done with it. But aren't you going to Kobe? I thought you would want to see him after your exam." She asked me with surprise.

"I wanted to. But he is busy and I don't want to disturb him." I replied in a small voice.

"What do you mean? Why would he be disturbed by you?" She stopped stirring the curry and looked at me with widen eyes. I smiled to assure her.

"Trust me; I'm very efficient in that department oka-san." I joked with her. She laughed at that and continued the stirring.

"Anyway, I don't have off at my hospital work either. So I can't go." I added.

"Hmm." She nodded in approval. After that she didn't bring this topic anymore.

...

(Naoki POV)

I was reading an important article after dinner when my cell rang. It must be Kotoko. I got up to get the phone from my bed and remembered that she didn't call me the past 2 days. But the cell flashed 'oka-san' as I took it on my hands. I felt slightly bad that it wasn't her. Not that I didn't want to talk to oka-san.

"Hello?" My voice sounded tired even to my own ears.

"Naoki, are you busy?" Oka-san asked.

"Yes, I am." I replied. I knew if I tell her that I was busy, despite that, she will say what she wants to say.

"Have you finished your dinner?" She asked me with concerned voice.

"Yes. Already done that."

"Good. Are you studying now?"

"Yes."

"Don't you ever rest? Your voice sounds so tired." She said in a worried tone.

"I am fine oka-san. I am eating and sleeping enough." I replied in a sleepy voice.