Chapter 23 - Shoot and Score

**Disclaimer** I do not own Teen Wolf, but Dylan O'Brien should own 350376 Oscars.

 My father, Eric, Melanie, and I all piled into my father's simple four-door sedan. Eric and I were scrunched together in the back while Dad and Melanie sat up front, understandably. We all decided to go to the big championship lacrosse game to support my friends, even though Stiles playing isn't a likelihood. Sitting together in the car like this, everyone discussing their day, it made me feel normal. I felt like I really had a family again. 

 Eric told us stories about his old lacrosse days and how wonderful of a player he was - which of course was a lie because the kid could hardly keep the ball in his net. I suppose he just likes to imagine that he became a werewolf before the end of his lacrosse season so he had more success than he actually did. I'm sure he would have been a magnificent player if he'd taken the bite earlier. Who wouldn't be?

 I spotted Melissa McCall sitting with Sheriff Stilinski when the four of us arrived at the lacrosse field. The Sheriff smiled and waved at me, so I lead my family to sit behind the two of them. I sat in between Dad and Eric, with Melanie on the outside. She actually brought a jacket this time, a small act that made me smile internally. 

 The boys were still in the locker room, at least I'm assuming since the field is empty of any players. I didn't have much of a chance to talk to Stiles today, but I hope I gave him enough good luck with the short hour we had together. I at least gave him a little something to think about if he does, by some remedial chance, get to actually play.

 I remember how upset he was a little over a month ago when he missed his first game at first line because of our encounter with Peter at the hospital. I shuddered when I replayed the memory of him using me to finish his healing process. If he really his back, I'll be sure to give him a little piece of my mind the next time I see him. The 'gift' he gave me has ruined my entire life.

 Sheriff Stilinski, Melissa, Melanie, and Dad were all talking about how they think the game will go. I noticed Dad kept sneaking odd glances at Melissa. I told him that she found out about Scott being a werewolf and all. But, I didn't want either of them to think about that. I want them to continue their conversation about lacrosse because that's what normal parents of normal kids do. They don't talk about their child's supernatural abilities. 

 The crowd erupted into cheers as the team made their way onto the field. I clapped along and picked out Scott and Stiles among the mob of maroon jerseys. To my surprise, they both moved to sit on the bench. Typically, that's just Stiles' job. Scott should be warming up since he does play.

 Eric nudged me. "Quit staring, it's kind of creepy,"

 I nudged him back and rolled my eyes. "I'm allowed to stare, thank you very much."

 It was true. Stiles is my boyfriend, giving me unlimited staring privileges. It's one of the many perks of dating him. I couldn't list the rest if I counted on my fingers and toes. There are too many reasons why I love being with Stiles.

 After a few more minutes of warming up, the referee blew the whistle to signal for the starting players to line up on the field so the game could begin. I craned my neck over the crowd, searching every jersey number. I was even more surprised when I found Scott remaining on the bench.

 "Why isn't Scott playing?" I asked my brother, giving him a worried look. He shrugged his shoulders, spotting Scott on the bench as well. Scott needed to play not only for the sake of the team winning, but for the sake of the team's safety. With Jackson out there there's no predicting what he might do.