14

We looked at each other for a long time after that, our minds confused. My brain was still in overdrive. I had just kissed Mitch!

"Kirstin? Are you okay?" Mitch asked, frowning slightly. His once bright and excited eyes were dimming fast, like a roaring fire that had water dumped on.

I realized my face had been all red. I smiled a bit nervously, fiddling the knob of the door behind me. "Yeah. I'm okay."

Mitch slid away from me and sat down on the closed toilet seat. I slid down against the door, staring at the bathroom floor. I noticed how the flooring was dark and a warm brown shade. Like Mitch's eyes. And his eyes were looking at me. Mitch pulled his legs toward his chest and wrapped his arms around them, putting his head on my knees. Closing his eyes, he muttered, "I'm sorry. I kissed you instinctively. I thought you liked me, but if you don't, that's okay..."

I looked up from the floor to see his face. But his facial expression betrayed him. I could clearly tell he wasn't fine with me not liking him. He was sad and hurt knowing I actually didn't like him.

"Mitch, I'm sorry." I finally said, using all my courage to tell him. "I... I kind of thought, well, we didn't know each other long enough to date. Also, I'm older than you and all, and I don't feel like I know enough to be in a relationship right now, and I don't even know if I'm the right person for you."

To say Mitch looked sad was an understatement. He looked depressed. "Sorry... I guess I just wanted to be loved by someone- anyone- so much I just ran for it." He mumbled. "I've never been loved truly before."

"You- you aren't loved by anyone?"
I asked, trying not to be rude but curious. I propped my head on my hand to look at him.

"Well, my dad-" Mitch cut himself off with a cough. "Let's just say I have family problems, okay? And I've had some friends who treated me more or less badly."

I nodded. "I'm sorry."

All of a sudden I was furious with myself. Here I was, with a happy family, a great life, and amazing opportunities- just sitting here, rejecting a broken boy who was so unloved and broken to the point where he would just make other people's lives miserable just to make himself feel better.

Then everything made sense.
That was why Mitch would bully people and pull rude pranks and jokes on them. Why he always tried to act so tough and rude just to save his own skin. Why he always stayed at Scott's house and avoided his own. Why he kept so silent about his family and personal life.

I stood up suddenly and walked over to Mitch, an apology ready on my lips. He had been staring at the floor, and when he saw me stand up, he flinched.

"C-can I give you a hug?" I asked timidly. Mitch looked up again, then emotionlessly stood up and put his arms around me.

There was no heat or warmth in that embrace. Not even a spark.

Outside, we could hear muffled voices yelling i found you! and here they are! But we stayed where we were. Eventually, I returned the embrace, wrapping my arms completely around him.

"J- just give me a little time, okay?" I told him instead. "I need to think about this for a bit." The embrace warmed up.

"So... Me and you together isn't a solid no?" Mitch asked shyly.

"Nope." I grinned a little. "But, on one condition."

"What?"

"You'll have to be more open on yourself." I said seriously. Then a used a more lighter tone. "C'mon, if I'm going to be your girlfriend, I might as well know some secrets about you, ya know?"

I was relieved to hear Mitch laugh. "Okay, okay."

He looked at me in the face like he was trying to memorize every detail. Then he hugged me a little tighter and put his head on my shoulder. "I- I- Thank you, Kirstin."

We looked at each other again, smiling. I bravely kissed his cheek before resting my head on his shoulder.

"W- would it be okay for me to kiss your cheek? I don't want to do lips right now, but I mean, we're not dating yet- but I guess we could-"

"Kiss my cheek." I said with an edge of a dare in my voice.

"Whatever you say, Kirstin."

He kissed my cheek again and I had never felt happier. We dreamily stared into each other eyes until a banging on the door made us jump.

"GUYS!" A very high Kevin yelled. "I THINK SOMEONE'S IN HERE!"

DID ANYONE DIE FROM THE MIRSTIE FEELZ YET? Jk jk. I wanted to put a bit of angst in here for Mitch since... well you know. But they kissed! Also Kirst knows Mitch likes her! Reviews and votes appreciated! Love u guys<3