23

"GO GO GO!" Scott yelled. I yanked open the car door and looked at the oncoming car. I couldn't see anything else but the bright headlights. A shrill female voice yelled "HEY! WAIT UP-" I dove into the seat and Scott floored the car, and we sped off into the night.

Scott didn't dare pull his hands from the wheel and relax his shoulders until we were on the main road again. "Who was that???" I demanded, twisting around to see Mitch. He laid peacefully in the backseat. It almost looked like he was sleeping.

"His- his parents! I mean, I don't know..." Scott said quietly. "Whatever. They aren't touching him."
As we sailed into the hospital parking lot, he spoke again.

"Mitch never talked much about his family. From the time I met him in school to now, I've never seen them. He was really closed up about the subject." He sighed and parked the car. "Help me get him out."

We took turns pulling Mitch out of the backseat. It hurt me to see him being dragged around like a wet noodle. Scott scooped him up and we hurried to the front entrance. We hurriedly explained to the lady at the front desk and she seemed to understand. He was whisked away in a rollable bed to a room, and the lady told us to wait in the waiting room with a few couches and chairs and magazines for a bit.

In that time, I called my parents and Scott called his. We sat on opposite ends of a couch, but I moved right next to Scott. "Cmon, sit next to me."
He smiled, but it looked a little forced.

"Do you think Mitch will be okay?" I asked, flipping around a few magazines since there was nothing else to do.

"He'll be fine."

"THERE YOU GUYS ARE!" We jumped as three people stormed into the room. Avi, Esther, and Kevin, all looking fresh out of sleep. I immediately, and with relief decided the people that were yelling at us to wait at first were them.

"Oh my gosh!" We ran up to hug each other.

"Is Mitch okay?" Esther asked.

"In fact, Mr. Grassi is in stable condition." A voice came from behind us. A nurse with frosty hair appeared. "Just a mild injury on his head, a few bruises." We all turned to her quickly.

"Can we see him?" Scott leapt up from his chair.

"Yes, but he's not awake. We put him on some painkillers but they should wear off soon. Try to keep quiet." She pointed the directions to us and headed off.

We quietly filed into the room, unsure what to do. Mitch lay peacefully sleeping on the bed, a white bandage wrapped around his head and sheets on his body. All of a sudden, we were crowding around him, talking at once.

"Guys, we should be quiet." I said. Scott nodded and I decided to sit down on a chair to let this all sink in. We all sat squished together for a while, waiting and waiting for that helpless voice to finally sound. Avi started to sing softly, and we all joined in. It was the song Light In The Hallway, a soft lullaby Avi had written.

"Close your eyes lay your head down, now it's time to sleep, may you find great adventure as you lie and dream..." His deep bass voice comforted me, and we softly sang- and before I knew it I had dozed off.