Chapter 5

Impossible, James Arthur

Quote;

There is a lesson we all have to learn,
Some are harsher than others.

Chapter 5.

     Bouncing my leg up and down I chew on my nails, my gaze shifting between Mrs. Ross, my World History teacher, and the clock. Heidi glances over at me as she takes down notes, frowning. I can't tell her what took place last night, she'd definitely freak out.

     Mrs. Ross flips through the pages of a textbook, her gaze drifting to us after a minute or two. "I want you all to understand the importance of the Early Dynastic-"

     But it would make what happened last night easier on me.. Perhaps she will have good advice on how to deal with it.

     "They reached their first high point of cultural development in-"

     Who am I kidding, we'll just end up arguing over getting him into rehab.

     "Please turn to page sixty-nine and begin reading, then answer questions one through six on page seventy-four. Any questions?" She eyes each of us individually before sitting down at her desk, satisfied. "Begin."

     Flipping through the pages I let out a yawn, occasionally glancing up at Mrs. Ross and then back down. Heidi harshly elbows me in the side as my eyelids begin to droop. Scowling at her, I sit up straighter in my seat.

    She, pleased with herself, returns to reading. Rolling my eyes I keep my gaze on the clock, tearing at the bits of peeling skin on my pinkie. "We'll make it through this."

     I thought he would agree..

     "Y-you will, you have always been so strong. But I can not promise you I will."

     He doesn't love me..

     "I hate you!"

      I didn't mean it.

     "I hate you!"

      I need him now more than anything..

      "You are supposed to be the one who is holding our family together, you should be my shoulder to cry on whenever I think about mom! You're not even trying! You're a sorry excuse for a father!"

      Was I wrong for saying that?

      "Noelle-"

      I didn't even let him explain.

     "Noelle-"

     I have to apologize after school, well after detention, I need to make things right with him. Mom would not have wanted this. Then again, I guess I never really knew what she wanted.

      "Noelle!"

       Jumping slightly at the sound of a raspy voice, my eyes dart towards a familiar heart-shaped face. Mrs. Ross's piercing blue eyes bore into mine, a slight frown clouding her usually soft feature. Great, now she's going to believe there's something wrong with me.

       Everyone in the class was now staring at me, some out of curiosity and others of blatant amusement. I feel my cheeks begin to heat up as I lower my head, wanting nothing more than to disappear from sight. Picking at my fingernails, I can feel Mrs. Ross stare at me.