Chapter 9

Human, Christina Perri

Quote;

Being broken shouldn't make us less,
But stronger than yesterday.

Chapter 9.
    Isaac's POV.

      "Come on sleepy head!" I chuckle as Gavin pulls the covers higher over his head, lifting up the end of the covers I reach under and begin to tickle his feet. "Get up Gavin, can't stay in bed all day. Now can we?"

     Gavin giggles, quickly covering his feet he yawns, readjusting the covers. He continues to lay down and I rake a hand through my hair, sighing. "Fine, guess I'm gonna eat all them pancakes by myself."

    One of his eyes open and he gives me a lopsided grin, "Ch-chocolate?"

     "Yup."

     Slowly sitting up in the bed he rubs at his eyes, flinging the covers off of his tiny legs he hops off the bed. Gavin trudges towards the bathroom and I can't help but watch as he leaves the room, his fingers scratching at his bald head. Following him out of the room I head into the kitchen, if you can even call it that, of our tiny apartment.

     The sound of water running and things hitting against the floor of the bathroom catch my attention, the corners of my mouth twitch as I hear the water turn off. Gavin hurries out of the bathroom and towards me, grinning. His eyes twinkle with false innocence, a look I haven't seen from him in months. It's refreshing.

     Handing him a plate I kneel down as he stands on the tips of his toes, planting a gentle kiss against my cheek before hurrying towards the living room. Gavin is pretty much your average eight year old, that is if you don't count the fact that he has brain cancer. He's my entire world, losing him would mean losing everything.

    I enter the living room and sit down beside him on the beat up sofa, placing my arm around Gavin I wait for him to finish eating. Looking around the apartment, my eyes wander over the wallpaper that seems to peel more everyday. It's no wonder the rent is cheap, who would pay a lot of money for this dump.

     "You make up your bed?"

     Gavin looks up at me and gives me those all too familiar puppy dog eyes. Everybody else may fall for it, but not me. If anything, he looks constipated when he does it.

     I nudge him lightly, "You're not cute."

     "Cuter th-than you are!"

     Pinching the bridge of my nose I suppress a chuckle, shaking my head. "You know I'm not your personal servant, you gotta do some things for yourself from time to time. Alright?"

     "You d-do things for me every day!" Gavin points out, stuffing a mouthful of pancakes in his mouth he continues to speak. "So.. that.. means.. you.." He swallows, "are a s-s-serv - maid."

     Gavin's cheeky grin only widens as I glare at him, he hands me his plate and slides off the couch. Turning to face me he places his hands on his hips, "Do I got that thing today?"

     "Chemo?"

     "That what it called?"

       "That's what it's called, and yeah you do."

     His shoulders slump and my eyes soften as he clambers onto my lap, ignoring the fact the plate was nearly about to fall. Leaning against me I set the plate on the cushion, wrapping my arms around him. I just wish all of his pain would go away.