Chapter 10

Iris, Sleeping With Sirens

Quote;

Hope can come in the smallest of places, and can be hard to see.

Chapter 10.
      Noelle's POV.

     Collapsing under the tree as students pour out of the building in order to get to their cars, I whip out my phone and lean against the bark. Ignoring the cold I find myself swiping aimlessly through old text messages, just trying to pass the time. Heidi and Marcus should be out soon.

     "Hey!"

      I look up to see Brad making his way over to me, hands stuffed in the pockets of his jeans as he hurries over. Locking my phone I sit up straighter as he sits down next to me, Brad rubs his hands together repeatedly and sends a sheepish smile my way. Right now I can't tell if he's just cold, or nervous.

     My eyes drift to the double doors, every student the comes out I keep hoping was either going to be Heidi and Marcus. But so far I haven't got a single glimpse of them. The sound of Brad clearing his throat brings my attention back to him, my eyes gleam with amusement as he fiddles with the zipper of his jacket.

     "I was uh, I was just wondering if you wanted to um.. go out sometime?"

     Oh boy.

     "Listen Brad, I-"

    "A-as friends." He adds quickly, rubbing at the side of his neck.

     I shrug, glancing at the double doors for the umpteenth time. "Yeah, that'd be nice."

     Brad's face brightens and he looks past me, nodding his head towards the door. "Your friends are coming out. I suppose you were waiting for them."

     Nodding I begin to gather my things and he helps me, standing up, I take my things from Brad and he unlocks his phone. "D-do you think I could get your number? So we can um, set a date to like meet up."

     "Su-"

     "But like not a date date! Just a date for when we can hang out because I know you answered much quicker when I said as friends and I don't want you to get the wrong-"

     "I get it!" I interrupt, placing a hand on his shoulder.

     "R-right, yeah.."

      He blushes and I suppress a giggle, not wanting to make things more awkward. We exchange numbers and I head off in the opposite direction, a smile forcing its way onto my face. Going out more with different people will do me some good.

      Heidi and Marcus meet me halfway, if I didn't know any better I'd say Heidi looks as if she's on cloud nine and doesn't want to come down. Before I can ask what has her in such a good mood, she throws her arms around me. Her constant squealing is an immediate sign that this, sadly, has nothing to do with her and Marcus.

     "Soooo, how'd it go with Brad?"

     "We're just gonna go hang out sometime, that's it."

     The smile that aligns her face slips away and I chuckle, linking arms with her. Marcus shakes his head and he falls into step with us as we head to the parking lot. There's no way once Heidi tells Paige about Brad that either of them are going to let it go. If I know them, they'll definitely try and convince me to turn us simply hanging out, into some sort of date.

 If I know them, they'll definitely try and convince me to turn us simply hanging out, into some sort of date

     "Multiply this by the square root.. then you get negative fifty three.. divide by-"

      The sound of leaves crunching is enough for my head to snap in the direction of the source. My eyes land on Isaac, who at the sight of me, tucks his phone away. We stare at each other, our frowns matching.

    "Are you just gonna keep staring at me?" He sneers, scowling.

     What is his problem?

       Rolling my eyes I set my pencil down on the bench, "Pretty sure you were staring at me too. What are you doing here anyways?"

     "Um, let me think," He taps his chin thoughtfully, looking around the area with a look of feigned interest. "It's a public park."

     I clap my hands together, placing my hands against my cheeks. "Oh my god, you're right!"

     He opens his mouth to speak but just as quickly, he closes it. Sending one last glare in my direction, Isaac crosses the street and disappears in a nearby café. I avert my attention back to my work, but find myself unable to focus on it anymore.

     And I thought I was hostile..

     The sound of my phone ringing catches my attention, I type in the password and stare at Dad's number with a sense of dread. Normally if he calls me, he is checking to see when I will be home or.. something bad has happened. Please let everything be ok.

     Answering I press the phone to my ear, beginning to pack up my things. I zip up my backpack, concern growing inside of me when I hear nothing. No cough, no sound of a bottle hitting a wood surface. Nothing.

     "Dad? Dad can you hear me? Dad please answer me!"

     "H-honey calm down.. I'm okay, I am okay. Can you.. can you stop by the drug store and get me some Tylenol. I have a headache."

     Shaking my head I ball my fist in my lap, looking out over the pond. "I thought you were going to fight, you said you were going to f-fight for me and-"

     "Tylenol, I need Tylenol."

     "Yeah, I'll get you your Tylenol when I'm ready to." I hiss into the phone before hanging up.

      I do the only thing I can do, the only thing that will keep me from falling apart. I laugh. I laugh so hard my sides start to ache and my throat becomes dry. How is it that this life is mine? That I'm the one who has been dealt this hand in life?

      God, are you even real?

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to me! What do you guys think about how Noelle acted towards Isaac?

Can't wait to see all your comments and read all of your opinions.

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤