Chapter 16

Life Afraid, Set It Off

Quote;

True beauty shines when you wish
For others to be more happy than you.

Chapter 16.
     Noelle's POV.

Tossing a blanket and a pillow in Isaac's direction, I climb into the bed and get under the covers. Turning to face away from him, I hear his heavy footsteps and the pillow hitting hard against the floor.

"Goodnight." He murmurs.

"Goodnight."

My eyes shut and I pull the covers tighter around me. Who knows, if I'm lucky this'll all have just been a dream. Isaac won't be here when I wake up, the shooting will never have occurred and – the sound of glass shattering makes me sit up. This, of course, is not a dream.

Isaac begins to sit up, but I shake my head. "Stay here, it's just my Dad."

For a second I see concern on his face, concern for me. Unable to think of anything to say, I hurry out of the room. Rushing down the stairs, my eyes drift to Dad on the floor.

Shards of glass lay in front of him, as well as beer, spilled all over. Not taking notice of my presence, he tries to stand up, but collapses. Grabbing his arm, he jerks away from me, tears staining his cheeks.

"Please, let me help you." I whisper, reaching out to touch his shoulder. "I'm going to get you to bed."

"I-I tried.. I'm so sorry." He croaks, his face contorting into one of despair as tears, one by one, land on the floor.

Helping him up, I put his arm around my shoulder. Just as I make my way back over to the stairs, Isaac comes down. Dad fixes his gaze onto Isaac and narrows his eyes.

"Isaac, I told you to-"

"Why is there a boy in our house, my house?!"

Isaac steps closer to Dad, hands slightly raised. "Sir, I just want to help, my car broke down and I needed somewhere to stay for the night." He lies, never breaking eye contact.

Dad, seemingly satisfied, nods and allows Isaac to help him. Together we get him upstairs without too much of a struggle. Making sure he's comfy, we head back down.

I purse my lips as Isaac kneels to pick up the glass, "Why didn't you stay upstairs like I told you to?"

"Sorry, would you have preferred if I just stayed upstairs and allowed you to struggle to get him to bed."

"He isn't your problem!"

Throwing the glass away, he turns back to face me. "He should not be yours either."

"Why don't you mind your own business?"

He chuckles, running his fingers through his hair. "Right, because you're so good at doing that."

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath. Brushing past him I clean up the rest of the mess without another word. He thinks he's so clever, thinks he knows stuff about me. He doesn't know anything.

"Look, Noelle-"

"Don't talk to me."

Heading back up the stairs, I waste little time in getting back into bed. I pull the cover over my head, wanting nothing more than to disappear. But just like everything else in my life, that is just too much to ask for.