Chapter 39

Mixed Signals, Ruth B

Quote;

Real friends are there through it all,
Fake friends are there until you fall.

Chapter 39.

"Congratulations, you failed to do good on the test! You will now get terrible grades, have no life, and every kid you have will die early!" Heidi agonizes, massaging her forehead.

Heidi's head snaps in my direction and I give her a reassuring smile, "I wouldn't worry, the worst thing that could happen is you fail, you do get terrible grades, you are kicked out, the college of your dreams won't accept you, and no one could ever love you."

"Wow thanks, that was so comforting!"

"I know right." I tease, chuckling. "But seriously, it's just one Chemistry test. It's not the end of the world. You can always retake it."

She rolls her eyes, "Do you know how much studying I had to do for that one test? No thanks, I'll just stick with the grade I get."

I shrug, "Suit yourself."

The warning bell rings and I turn my attention on the door, as soon as Marcus walks in, Heidi waves him over and points to the seat in front of her. Marcus's eyes gleam with a shyness that is only present whenever Heidi is around. Sitting in front of her, Heidi and Marcus strike up an animated conversation. One that I take no part in.

Waiting for the next person to walk in my eyes land on Stephen. He meets my sharp gaze my eyes bore into his, narrowing slightly. Stephen flips me off and heads to the back of the room, a surge of satisfaction coursing through me.

"I want you to know that the way you glared at him was not at all intimidating, if anything you looked like someone kicked your puppy." Marcus chimes in, interrupting my thoughts.

"Shut up, you are no help."

Heidi scoffs, "Remind you of anyone."

"Nope."

Hurrying around the building in hopes of finding Isaac, I catch a whiff of smoke

Hurrying around the building in hopes of finding Isaac, I catch a whiff of smoke. Who goes outside in the middle of November to smoke during a school day? Isaac does.

A shiver runs down my spine as my arms wrap around myself. Isaac

Isaac puts the cigarette back into his mouth, and a shiver runs down my spine. "You're having lunch with us, come on."

"Noelle-"

"Isaac."

We stood there for a long time, neither of us saying anything. As he pulls the cigarette out of his mouth, he releases a sharp breath. "Fine, but I want to stay out here for a bit."

Nodding, I turn to head back inside and his voice rings out, "Could you stay with me?"

I turn to look at Isaac, seeing him pull his hoodie off he walks towards me. Placing the cigarette back in between his lips, he helps me put the hoodie on. Pulling the hood over my head, I blush, turning away from him.

"Don't you need it?"

He shakes his head, leaning his back against the wall. Holding the cigarette out in my direction, I push his hand away. I don't need anymore destructive habits in my life.

Isaac shrugs, putting it back into his mouth, only to begin coughing. My brows knit in confusion as he attempts to keep me at a distance. I reach out to try and pat his back one last time before shaking his head.

"I'm fine, let's get inside before I freeze."

Of course he'd brush it off. To avoid an argument I comply, grabbing his wrist, I tug him towards the school entrance. Finally getting out of the cold I close the door behind us, taking my arms out of the sleeves of the hoodie. Pulling it over my head, I hand it back to Isaac. He takes it from me, wrapping the hoodie around my wrist.

"Keep it, I can get it back at the end of the day."

As we near the cafeteria I catch sight of Trevor and he makes his way towards us, jerking his finger in Isaac's direction. "Second day and you already leavin' me to fend for myself, you know I ain't hangin' with this other people."

"Where exactly have you been, I've been waiting?" Trevor barks angrily, and when he sees me a smirk forms on his face. "Ohh, you two-"

"Screw you." Isaac retorts, brushing past him.

Trevor chuckles following after Isaac, careful not to leave me behind. He nudges me, "So, we hangin' with your group?"

"Yup."

"Hey, I've been looking for you!" I turn to see Brad hurrying over towards me, a sheepish grin transforming his face.

Smiling, I meet him halfway. "What's up?"

"Wanna catch a movie this weekend, Saturday maybe?"

"Depends, what movie?"

He chuckles, "I'm not picky, if you want you can decide if you uh, want to come that is."

"I'll meet you there, what time?"

"Five thirty."

I grin, "Deal, and since you're paying for the tickets I'll pay for the popcorn."

He runs his fingers through his hair, smiling. "Yeah, okay."

Trevor coughs and I turn to see him and Isaac staring between the two of us. Recognition seems to dawn on Brad's face, and a flush crept onto his face. Muttering a goodbye, he heads off in the opposite direction and I purse my lips. What was that about?

Deciding not to dwell on it, I lead Isaac and Trevor over to my usual spot in the cafeteria. A huge smirk spreads across Paige and Marcus's faces upon seeing who was going to be joining us. Honestly, I really hate them sometimes.

 Honestly, I really hate them sometimes

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to
me! What do you guys think of Paige and Heidi?

Can't wait to see all your comments and read all of your opinions.

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤