Chapter 12

Incomplete, James Bay

Quote;

Even your worst enemies
Can be your best friends.

Chapter 12.

     Turning over onto my side I slowly open my eyes, letting them adjust to the light in the room. Startled, I sit up in the bed as my eyes train on a little boy. There isn't an ounce of hair on his head, and there was no hair where eyebrows normally reside.

     He giggles, holding out his hand for me to shake. "M-my name is Ga-Gavin W-Will-Williams!" He stammers.

    I look around the room, taking note of the peeling wallpaper and the window that overlooks the street. My eyes drift back to the little boy's, who smiles up at me. Who is this child and whose apartment am I in?

     "I'm Noelle."

     "My brother came here w-with you in his a-arms. Wh-why were you so wet?"

     Before I can answer him the door opens and in steps, Isaac. Gavin runs over to him, wrapping his tiny arms around Isaac's leg. A smile begins to form on my face but just as quickly slips away as Isaac clears his throat.

     "Great you're awake, you can leave now." He says, arms crossed. "You look a mess, so I suggest you get out of here and home quick."

     "Gee thanks."

     "No problem."

     Gavin looks up at his brother and frowns, "I th-think I see why you do-don't got any fr-friends."

     Smart kid.

     Isaac rolls his eyes and thumps his brother lightly upside the head. When he exits the room, Gavin hurries over to me and grabs my hand. "I have a toothbrush y-you can use!"

     He leans forward and whispers, "I don't like blue very much. Y-you can have it."

      Smiling at him I hop off the bed and head into the bathroom. Gavin follows me. I turn to face him and he holds out his hands, causing me to frown.

     "Cl-clean your clothes."

     I shake my head, "No it's okay. I'll just clean up a bit and head home. I can take a shower there."

     Gavin nods and leaves the bathroom, closing the door behind himself. I quickly brush my teeth and splash some water on my face. My head pounds and my stomach churns, making me feel nauseous.

     Rushing over to the toilet I hurl up last nights liquor among other things. No wonder Dad looks and feels like crap in the morning. After this I am never drinking again.

     I fiddle with the roll of tissue, taking a couple off the roll to clean my mouth. Kneeling down in front of the toilet bowl, I throw up again. Only this time much longer.

     "Hey! Hey!" Isaac calls out from the other side of the door. "Don't get a drop of that on the floor, you hear me? I'm not cleaning up nothin'."

     What a sweetheart he is.

      After cleaning myself up I exit the bathroom. Isaac pushes himself off the wall, his jaw set. "You leaving now?"

    "Ye-"

     "No!" Gavin cries, rushing into the bedroom with a plate of pancakes. "I got a p-pl-plate for y-y- argh!" He grumbles, shoving the plate in my direction.

      Placing my hand on his shoulder, I take the plate with my other hand. "I understand what you meant, no need to get upset. Everyone has quirks."

     Isaac snatches the plate out of my hand and points towards the door, "I think you should leave."

     "Did I say something wrong?"

     "Get out!" He snaps and Gavin frowns up at him, shocked at his outburst.

     My jaw tightens as he scrutinizes me. I brush past Isaac and out the apartment, bitter. Nearly reaching the elevator, the sound of feet hitting against the floor capture my attention.

     I turn around to see Gavin running towards me, holding the plate. I kneel down and take it from him, he hugs me tight before letting go. Giving me a toothy grin I swell with a new sense of affection.

     "He is s-sensitive when what m-my cancer is d-do-doing to me is brought up." He says, smiling. "W-will I see you again?"

     I shrug, "Maybe."

     "I sure hope so!"

     Me too, kid. Me too..

      As soon as I get to the house, I take a long and hot shower

      As soon as I get to the house, I take a long and hot shower. The tension in my head has somewhat released, and the knot in my stomach is no longer there. But the taste of bile seems to still be rising in my throat every now and then.

     Stepping out of the shower I wrap a towel around myself. Dad was nowhere to be seen when I arrived. I assume he's at work, not sure how he's managed to stay employed for this long.

     I rummage around in my drawers, eventually settling for a plain t-shirt and sweatpants. Collapsing onto the bed, I massage my temples and slip under the covers. Turning on my side, I stare at my backpack.

     There's still a lot of homework I need to do, but I suppose I can just finish it in the morning. That is if I have time to. Who knows at this point.

     My eyes shut and I pull the covers over my head, pulling the blankets tighter around me. As soon as I begin to settle in, the sound of the front door opening catches my attention and I groan. The stairs creak and I close my eyes again, not wanting to be questioned or asked to do anything.

     The door to my bedroom opens and footsteps come closer and closer to my bed. Dad's lips press against my forehead and the corner of my mouth twitches. He may not be perfect.. but at least I know that to some extent, he cares about me..

     But that means nothing if he isn't willing to put in enough effort for his daughter.

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to
me. What do you guys think
of Gavin?

Can't wait to see all your comment and read all of your opinions.

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤