Chapter 32

Solider, Before You Exit

Quote;

The ones who are misunderstood,
Are the ones with the tallest walls.

Chapter 32.

9:30 pm -"Noelle, just called to see where you are. You're not picking up. Call me!"

9:55 pm - "Okay seriously, someone said they saw you leave with Isaac. Is this true? Are you in danger, is it true that Isaac Williams is a part of the mafia?! Should we contact the police?  Inshallah, I hope you're alright!

10:45 pm - "Noelle, this isn't funny! You have all of us panicking, you can't do this to me, alright? We're supposed to all get old and die together in a nursing home because our kids don't come to visit us and we don't feel loved anymore! You can't back out now, you can't be dead yet!"

11:00 pm - "NOELLE ROBERTS, THIS IS PAIGE! YOU PICK THIS PHONE UP RIGHT NOW OR I SWEAR, SO HELP ME GOD, I'LL FIND YOU AND-"

11:20 pm - "Hey, this is Marcus, can you call us or somethin'. Heidi has lost her mind and Paige is throwing a fit over where you could be? I don't think you're in danger, but hey, who knows. So like, call or text or something because these girls are.. wow. 'Kay bye!"

Shoving another piece of toast into my mouth, Isaac and I exchange an amused look. Well, at least I know they care about me. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

"You oughta call them." Isaac chuckles, "The last thing I need is the cops on my back accusing me of kidnapping because of your friends."

After finishing up the last of my toast I wipe my mouth, nodding. Dialing Marcus' number, I press the phone to my ear. "Hey, all is good I-"

"Where have you been young lady, we stayed up all night waiting for you to call! This isn't how I raised you to behave, we up wanderin' the streets for you, putting up missing posters all over town, we went on the news and detectives are-"

"You're so dramatic."

Marcus laughs, snorting. "Tell me about it, so who you with? We dropped by your place, lights off, keys not under the mat, Paige was very close to breaking in. You good?"

"I'm good, with Isaac. Stayed with him."

"Oooohhh," He lets out a girlish squeal. "Okay tell me all about it, y'all shacking up?"

Crinkling my nose, I let out a loud sigh. "I'm hanging up."

"Tell Isaac to dress it up before he mess you up, warp it before he taps it, I don't want no-"

I hang up the phone before he can even finish, suddenly feeling flustered. Isaac takes the plate from in front of me and I avoid his eyes. Great, leave it to Marcus to make things awkward.

"You ready to go?"

"Definitely." Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

 "You know what I realized, a lot of people have walls built up around them because of things that may have happened in their lives or a genuine fear of being hurt

 "You know what I realized, a lot of people have walls built up around them because of things that may have happened in their lives or a genuine fear of being hurt."

Isaac pulls out of the parking lot, glimpsing in my direction. "Uh-huh, what's your point?"

"You have a whole damn security system."

He smirks, driving further off down the road. "Gotta have one in this world."

I shrug, "You're not wrong and thanks for last night."

The smirk slips from his face and in its place is a tiny curl of the lips, a smile that appears to be barely there. Briefly I return it before deciding to continue staring out the window. Watching the way we speed past cars and houses, reminds me of how life passes us in the blink of an eye. We need to cherish the moments we have..

"When I turned thirteen my mom talked to me about boys," I murmur. "How there are a lot of good ones, nice ones. She also talked to me about the ones who put up a front, ones who will make you believe they are good but then go and stab you in the back."

"Seems like you didn't learn."

"Apparently not."

The car turns and he rubs his jaw, staring straight ahead. "People uh, people come into our lives for different reasons. Sebastian was just a lesson that you had to learn the hard way. I always try to look at people as lessons and blessings.."

"Which one am I for you?"

"Which one do you think you are?"

"I don't know."

He smiles to himself, "Guess that part of the story just hasn't been written yet."

Guess not.. Wrapping my arms around myself, I bite my lip. "Aren't there other ways for you to pay for Gavin's burial besides having to sell drugs? Haven't you been to jail for that al-"

"How'd we get on this topic?" He carps, the car stopping at a screeching halt in front of my house.

"I was just curious.. there must be some other way for you to make money."

"That isn't your concern."

Rolling my eyes I open the car door, "Fine."

I slam the door and hurry over to the house, fumbling with my keys, I manage to put it in and get inside with little issue. Shutting the door behind me, I suddenly become overwhelmed with emotion. I'm back at the house.

Heading into the living room, I look around to see it just how I left it. For the first time when I come home, I don't have to do anything. No glass to pick up or spills all over the house. No blood, nothing out of place to make one think that this house wasn't a place where death seemed to like to make regular visits.

Subconsciously gliding my fingers along my thighs, I swallow hard. Never again. Sitting down on the couch I look around the living room, for anything that doesn't seem to belong. At this moment I don't feel like I belong. At least not in this house.

A knock on the door startles me and I scramble to my feet, making my way back down the hall. Pretty sure Marcus and them are at school, so it can't possibly be them, right? Opening the door, I come face to face with Isaac again.

"So uh, I think we left things off badly back there."

"Really, I didn't notice."

A/N

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to
me. What do you guys think
of their argument?

Can't wait to see all your comments and read all of your opinions.

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤