Chapter 8

Maroon 5, Cold (Cover)

Quote;

On the outside we seem heartless,
But on the inside we're falling apart.

Chapter 8.

     Paige and I have proven to be selfish a**holes. Both of us have completely discarded how we've made Heidi feel. Which is why we have been in Family Dollar for an hour, looking for a card that says, Sorry we've been a**holes.

     Long story short, they don't have one.

     Which is why we had to be creative and pick the goofiest card they had. Paige and I wait in the check out line, neither of us have barely said anything to one another since her break down in the car. I'm not even sure what to say, knowing Paige she's gonna want advice of some sort. Truth be told, I don't have any.

     I have never had a serious problem with my looks. I always believed that I looked okay. There was nothing special about me, my eyes were pretty bland and my skin wasn't the type that most people in books said glowed like the sun. If it did, I'd be very concerned. My hair was a train wreck, whenever I woke up it looks like a hurricane came through.

     I'm a pretty skinny girl, and fairly tall. Appearance wise I don't have a lot going for me. Personality wise.. I still don't have a lot going for me. In the life area.. I got too much going on, and I've got no idea how to deal with it.

     "You gonna keep standin' there or are we headin' out now?" Paige asks, dangling the card in front of my face.

     Nodding I awkwardly shuffle after her, digging around in my pocket for my phone, there are four missed calls from Dad. Three voice mails and ten text messages asking, where are you? call me.

     Still upset with him, I shut off my phone and hurry outside after Paige. Quickly managing to catch up with her, I take the card out of her hands and read the cute message inside of it. On the blank side of the card, I take a pen out of Paige's purse and write.

     Please forgive us, we never wanted to hurt you! Dealing with us is not always easy. Love you! Can't ask for a better bff. <3

     Handing it over to Paige she reads it, and smiles. Putting her arm around me, we walk side by side over to her beat up jeep. I seal the card inside of the orange envelope and tuck it inside the bag.

     "You good with givin' this to her tomorrow?"

     "Why can't y- oh right."

     "Duh."

      I roll my eyes, getting in on the other side of the car. If you ask me, the suspension isn't even fair. But as usual, it's out of my hands.

     After driving around for a bit and stopping to get something to eat, she drops me off at the house. Getting out of the car I wave goodbye to her. She smiles at me, one that does not reach her eyes. I head inside, not wanting to face him quite yet.

      Stepping inside of the house, I am hit with the sweet smell of apple pie and sweet potatoes. Dad can't cook to save his life. As soon as I step into the kitchen, my eyes land on a woman at the stove. For a moment I imagine it being mom, imagine her here, fixing up something to eat for us to enjoy.

     Dad stands up from the table and I fix my gaze on him. He looks.. happy? There is not a single can or bottle of alcohol in sight. Dad wore a red polo short and some raggedy kakis. This is the most he has dressed up in a while, even if it did look a little strange.