Chapter 1 - The Beginning

I walked upstairs and plopped down on my soft and fluffy bed and closed my droopy eyes-- even though I work at home, I still get tired of staring a screen all day. Answering calls and having to type all day is tiring. All I wanted was 30 minutes of sleep, that's all.

My phone starts to ring, playing a Spongebob trap remix that I loved, but for today it annoyed the hell out of me. Why now when I am clearly trying to sleep?

I angrily pick up the phone and answer the number. Usually, I only get calls from the school saying Kaden got into a fight, so I'm guessing this is another fight again.

"Emily, you need to pick up Kaden. He got into a fight again," the principal sighed.

Of course he did. Guessed it. I thought and sat back up.

"Okay," I groaned and got off my bed, muttering words under my breath. Just thirty minutes, is that too much to ask?

I turned off my phone and sat it down on the bed, standing up and walking down the stairs.

"Jasper," I asked and poked my head out towards the kitchen. "Can you go pick up Kaden?"

"Sure, sweetie; but why?" Jasper questioned and looked over at me. His smile always makes me calm down.

Sweetie is almost the best word he can say to me. It means you're their loved one, right? I hope you because that's what he always calls me and Kaden.

"The school called again saying that he got in trouble." I walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch.

"Again?" He muttered. "Fine, fine."

I grabbed the remote and turned on the television, putting on Spongebob. I turned up the volume so I could hear the show and laid down. Time for some sleep.

Emily... A strange raspy voice called from upstairs.

What the hell? Am I going insane or what? I thought and looked around.

Come get me, Emily. The strange voice called once again.

"Who's there!?" I exclaimed and sat up, getting off of the couch and frantically looked around.

I know you want me. The voice replied.

I walked upstairs, past the beautiful flowers dressed in white, and past the paintings that I love dearly, to my bedroom.

What the hell was that? I asked myself.

Mine, and Jasper's, room is just a normal bedroom, however, it does have a bookshelf. This bookshelf consists of kid's books, adult books, any kind of books that a normal person would have. Except, there is one book out of the ordinary, and that book is the same one that Mr. Harmon had before he vanished.

I looked over at the large bookshelf. It has many books; adult books, kids books, cooking books, that book. The dresser is next to it, which probably aren't what I'm looking for. The bed is close to it, but I doubt it would be there. It has to be this.

"It has to be that book," I murmured under my breath and sat down in front of the bookshelf.

"It just has to be," I repeated. "It has to be the book."

I grabbed the brown book by its spine. It looked like it was left outside for years- well, it probably was. From the looks of it, the book looks like you wouldn't even be able to read anything it has to say. But I'll be able to read it. I have to be able to read it.

I opened it up to the first page revealing a note that I left there when I threw it into the lake back when I was young. The pages were old and wrinkled, the dust flew everywhere as I gently waved the book up and down. I coughed and set the book back down on my lap, turning to the next page.

I went to the next page revealing a bunch of letters, however, a word caught my eyes. It read, "You need sacrifices to gain power. Sacrifice, kill, these are the things you will need to do. By getting this power, you may do anything you like."

Anything? I muttered as I kept reading.

"Mommy, I'm home!" Kaden yelled with glee as he ran up the stairs into my and Jasper's room.

I quickly put the old book down, being sure not to ruin it, and closed it. It's just Kaden, he won't know what it is. I got up and walked up to him, giving him a hug.

"Welcome home, sweetie! What did you do at school today?" I said in a comforting voice.

Kaden is young, 7 to be exact. He has short, brown hair with baby blue eyes just like me. The only thing he basically ever wears is light brown shorts with a short-sleeved blue shirt.

"The teacher yelled at me for pushing a person to the floor," he whined. "But I didn't start it, he hit me first so I pushed him back. He got what he deserved." He ended with a fist and a smile.

"As long as you didn't start it," I replied and gave him a smile.

After Kaden went back downstairs, I got back out the book and began reading it again.

Kaden waved and turned around, walking out of the room and down the stairs. I quickly grabbed the book after I heard him laughing with Jasper downstairs. Opening it to the first page, I set it down and thought for a bit.

A sacrifice, huh? I asked myself. Might as well do it with someone. Who shall I start with?

After I read a few more pages, I put the book back in its place and walked downstairs.

After I read a few more pages, I closed the book carefully and put it back in its place. I got up and walked down the stairs, seeing Jasper in the kitchen and Kaden in the living room.

"Em, what are we having for dinner?" Jasper asked and put his pink apron on. 

"Dunno," I mumbled, lifting up my shoulders, snickering a bit when he put it on. "That never gets old."

Jasper sighed in reply and grabbed out some ingredients. 

"So, Emily, what were you doing up there anyway?" Jasper questioned while he was grabbing pans and pots for dinner.

"Nothing, just cleaning things up," I replied trying to not look suspicious, I looked down at the ground making sure Jasper can't see my face.

After he made dinner and we ate, Jasper and I put Kaden to bed and went into our bedroom.

"Hey, uh, Jasper," I called and turned toward him. "If I changed, would you still... love me?"

"What kind of question is that?" Jasper said and looked and me confused.

"Just answer me," I ordered.

"Yes, I will. Now answer this, what do you mean by that? What did you do?" Jasper said concerningly and grabbed my hand. 

"Well, uhm.." I murmured and looked away from him. "You know... the book?"

~~~

If there are any mistakes, please tell me. ☺ 

{Edited}