Chapter 2 - The Book

"Well, of course I do!" Jasper exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air and grabbed my arm again. "Why in the world would you be taking about that?"

"Well, um," I whispered, going under the covers. "Nothing, never mind, I'm going to bed."

"Okay?" Jasper replied awkwardly. "If anything is wrong, you know you can tell me. Good night." 

"Yeah... Good night." I kissed his forehead and went to sleep.

------

I opened my eyes and stared out the window from my bed. The birds were chirping loudly as they passed the house. I got up and shook Jasper lightly.

Now, where is the book again? I need to find it. I want to find out how this works. I said to myself.

"Morning, Emily," Jasper yawned and smiled at me.

"Morning," I yawned and rubbed my eyes.

"So, Emily," Jasper asked. "What were you doing with the book?"

"I said nothing," I replied annoyed.

"Okay, fine," he said, getting off of the bed and going out the door.

Damn, he's so nosy. I said to myself.

After a few more moments of sitting in bed, I got up and went toward Kaden's room.

He's so cute when he's sleeping. I thought to myself and walked inside.

"Kaden," I whispered while shaking his side. "Time to wake up."

"Mmm," he mumbled and went under the sheets. "Five more minutes."

"No, we have work to do. Come on," I replied impatiently. 

"Uhhhg!" He whined as he got out of bed and walked out the door. He then walked downstairs to get breakfast.

Now that he's out of the way, I can finally go finish that book. I said to myself.

As I was walking upstairs, I saw a shadow hiding in the corner. Long and lengthy, staring t me with its dull green eyes.

"Hello... Emily," a familiar voice echoed and walked out of the shadows. 

"Wait... Who are you?" I asked and walked backward, about to make a run for it.

"Oh, just a familiar face," he laughed and crept closer. His eyes flickered toward my room.

Wait.... No... I said to myself, scared.

"But... How.." I shuddered. "How are you here?"

"Emily," Jasper shouted. "What are you doing?"

"Not- Nothing," I stuttered.

"Are you alright?" 

"I'm fine!"

Alright, what the hell is he doing here? I screamed in my head.

"Well then, how's your child?" Mr. Harmon asked, obviously have fun messing with me. His face lips crept into a smile, making me shiver. His smile was never normal, it always reminded me of the times that I had to go through.

"What are you doing here?" I murmured furiously.

"Hmph," Mr. Harmon muttered. "You shouldn't be so rude."

"Well, you shouldn't just come into a house without permission!" I exclaimed.

He laughed. "Anyways, Emily. How's your reading of the book?" He asked and walked closer to me. How does he know everything I do? Why can't I be normal for once!

"H- How did you know about that?" I stuttered and took a step back. Getting away from him wouldn't do anything, he sees everything I do probably.

"Please, I know what you've been doing," he replied. "And I hope you like it. It's pretty amazing, after all."

"Hmph," I replied, turning my head away from Mr. Harmon. 

Questions ran through my head. How does it work? Can I do it? If I do it will I be able to protect my family? I can't. I can't do it. If I read the book, then I have to sacrifice people. It's wrong! I don't want to be like him! He killed my family and tortured my friends, I don't want that to happen ever again. 

I shook my head violently and looked back up at Harmon. If I do this... I can get power. the power to help my family. The power to stop all of this... That's all I want.

I opened my mouth and said, "So... How does it work... You know... The book?" I looked down at my hands, preparing for my answer. I'd have to sacrifice, I know that; but who?

"Ahh, so you do have something good to say?" He replied mischievously. "Well, all you have to do is find someone and make them say "I pledge my loyalty to the book" or make them play the game. (If you've read Hide and Seek, you should know what I'm talking about). The more people you get to pledge their loyalty, the more power."

"Alright..." I muttered. "Thanks..."

As soon as I finished my sentence, Mr. Harmon was gone. He disappeared into thin air.

I walked away, going downstairs to meet Jasper and Kaden for breakfast.

"So, what's for breakfast?" I asked and looked at Kaden.

"Bacon and eggs!" Kaden replied cheerfully.

"Awesome!" I replied and sat down at the table. Jasper put the food on that table and I stuffed my mouth full of food.

"Someone's hungry," he smiled.

I just smiled in reply and continued to eat.

I gave him a smile back before grabbing seconds and stuffing it into my mouth again.

~~~

Sorry for the really slow updates. ;-; School sucks and I got the PSSA'S.. and yeah.

Please point out any errors, thanks. ☺

{Edited}