•Chapter Six•

The Next Morning

Everlington Manor, East London

Hanna Everlington helped Winston brush the manes of his horses. While he brushed Patricia, she got to work with cleaning Luna. Hanna had always loved the two horses, and her love was why Winston trusted her around them.

"Your manes will look splendid by the time we are finished, girls. You'll see." Hanna said, applying some rose oil to her hands and rubbing them together, running her hands through Luna's mane. The scent of the oil filled Winston's nostrils, and he smiled at how Hanna seemed content. He had known her from being a young girl, and now she was a young woman who had not long celebrated her nineteenth year.

Winston had never questioned her methods of caring for his 'daughters', for he knew of her love for animals. Even when insects found their way into the manor, she never screamed or tried to stomp on them. Instead, she gathered them onto her hand and put them outside.

"Every animal and insect has a right to live, regardless of their appearance. They all have a purpose." she would say.

Hanna proceeded to braid part of Luna's mane, tying the end with a white, silk ribbon once she had finished. She looked at her handy work with satisfaction, stroking the black horse. "There we are, girl, all finished."

Luna neighed, nuzzling the Everlington in thanks for the pampering session she had received. Patricia was next on the list to be treated like a princess, and Hanna was quick to get to work.

Winston didn't really understand feminine attitudes, for he had never married nor had any sisters to grow up with. His mother died in childbirth, and his grandmother had shared the same fate prior to his birth. His father on the other hand was a champion horse rider, often winning shows and coming home with medals and trophies. It was his love of horses and the love he had received from his father that made Winston the man who served the Everlington's.

"Finished. I say, that was fun. I love looking after the horses with you, Winston." Hanna smiled before adjusting the pins in her hair, tightening the bow so that it wouldn't come loose and expose her long, mahogany locks.

Yes, it was safe to say that she liked ribbons. Pink ones, red ones, white ones or yellow. No matter what colour they were, they were all pretty.

"I must go and join my parents for breakfast." she told Winston, knowing that breakfast was an important meal that should never be skipped. Unbeknownst to her parents and Winston, however, Hanna was plotting something.

***

"Come on, girls, quietly now." Hanna said softly as she led Luna and Patricia from the stables, getting a saddle and adjusting it so that it was secure on Luna. Getting on, she took the reins and patted the mare to signal her to start moving, holding Patricia's reins so that she would follow.

"I'm on my way, Alfie. Everything will be all right."

Hanna journeyed into the woodland, searching for any sign of her friend. Luna walked forward with Patricia, Hanna's riding boots covered in dirt.

Please be all right, Alfie. My heart could not take it if anything happened to you. Jim has had countless sleepless nights worrying about you, and I am beginning to fear that it will eventually take a toll on his health should he carry on doing what he is doing.

"Is anyone out there!? If anyone can hear me, please help!" she heard a man shout, and she was quick to react. Luna went fast on her hooves, the breeze brushing against Hanna's face.

I will have to take a quick detour, for I must tend to that cry for help. Do not worry, i'm on my way!

Westman and Blaire took to their feet as they could smell blood that was nearby. Their eyes turned red briefly, and they hissed as they took cover in bushes. Blaire clutched into her cross necklace, ready to use it if she needed to.