•Chapter Fifteen•

The next morning

Victoria and Jack sat waiting, waiting for their owners to wake up from their remedy induced slumber. Jack tilted his head to the side, he had never seen his master sleep before, so it was rather a new experience for him.

Deciding to take action, Victoria jumped up onto the sofa, sniffing Blaire. Her dampened snout caused Blaire to moan with discomfort in her sleep, the woman turning over.

"Not yet, Nanna...too early."

Victoria growled, nudging her mistress to get her attention. Blaire stretched and woke up with a yawn, seeing that her adorable friend was waiting for her.

"Good morning, Victoria." she looked down at Jack, who was greeting her too. "You too, Jack. Freddie must still be sleeping, I assume? I suppose that formula really worked. I feel great after having a good night's rest."

Jack scratched at Westman's work station, hoping it would get a reaction from him. Westman was too busy snoring; one of his arms hanging down loosely by his side with the other was resting on the desk. Letting herself smile, Blaire got her composure and took Westman's coat into her hands, knowing of the kind gesture he had done for her needed to be returned. Why, he didn't think she fell asleep soon after taking the remedy, did he?

"Thank you. Perhaps you are not the man in life I first thought you was. The Freddie Westman I know in death is starting to present himself."

Placing the coat over his shoulders, she kissed the top of his hair and left to explore the places of the manor she had not yet been to. She assumed Blinks was up and about, and Mrs Wickspittles was getting on with her morning duties. When she saw the lush, green land she gasped in awe. Rose bushes and various other types of flowers caught her attention, and she wished she could pick one of each and make them into a bouquet.

I'm surprised my allergies haven't started up. It's usually in the summer that they begin. Not unless this is one of the effects of time travel, were allergies and other discomforts similar to it will not cause me any trouble. Either that or the pollen levels are not high today.

A sight she knew she had seen before showed itself to her, and Blaire looked at it with recognition and a warm heart (even though it's beat was cold).

"The tree. The tree I always sit under for hours on end with a good book to read whilst the sun shines on my face. Nanna liked how I enjoy the simplest necessities of life."

Moving in towards the shade of the tree, Blaire sat down and got herself comfortable, the breeze making her sigh contentedly.

"Good morning, Miss Fletcher!" Hanna called in greeting, waving to Blaire with a red velvet pouch in her hand. "Is Alfie here?"

Blaire returned the wave, patting the free space next to her after she had spoken. "He is still sleeping at the moment, but you are more than welcome to join me!"

Hanna walked over to the spot were Blaire was, sitting next to her with a smile. "Lovely day today, is it not? Fifi and I love spending time together on warm days like these, with strawberry ices whilst reminiscing over our childhood, remembering the games we would play. I love her as though she were my own sister."

"Fifi?" Blaire asked, interested in what Hanna had to say. "Is that your nickname for Mr Penderry's sister?"

"Yes, albeit I was quite young when I first met her and Jim, and it long before George was born." Hanna said, the memories she was about to share were both happy and sad ones. "Their mother and mine had been friends from their adolescent years, our fathers met through them. It sparked a lasting friendship, and that was how we all became acquainted with one another. After Jim and Sophie's parents died, everything seemed as though it was falling apart."