•Chapter Eight•

Hanna and Westman returned the horses to their stables, the young Everlington praising the two of them by stroking their muzzles.

"Good girls. Thank you for your help, I promise to bring you a selection of fruit to eat as a reward when I have the time to purchase some. I know you both have different tastes."

Westman removed Patricia's saddle, saving Hanna the hassle of doing so. "You treat them as though they are the most important animals in the world. You do know that they cannot understand a word you're saying, don't you?"

"Animals understand a lot more than we think. Isn't that right, Jack?"

Jack barked, going over to Hanna and letting her stroke him. "See? You should be a bit more respectful towards animals, Alfie. They have feelings just like us."

"I am respectful." said Westman, hanging the saddle up on the right hook. "I wouldn't own a dog if I did not like them. At any rate, they are much better than children."

Hanna laughed, resting her hands on her hips. "Is that right? So you are saying you would rather have a manor full of pups than two or three infants?"

"For the time being, yes. I would rather have a manor full of pups than a cluster of infants. Crying for attention and what not, it's worse than cats wailing at night."

"Fair enough. That is quite annoying now that you mention it. The amount of times I have been tempted to get Father's rifle and scare them off with it. Well then," Hanna linked Westman's arm. "Shall we?"

"Shall we what?"

"Go and meet with our friends, of course. I want this to be a surprise. Everyone will be so happy to see you!"

Before Westman could say anything else, Hanna took his hand and he had no other option than to follow her. Jack wasn't far behind, and neither were Blaire or Ollie.

***

"She took the horses?" Jim asked, a cramp in his side from running so fast. "Why would she do that?"

"I don't know, sir. One minute she was helping me tend to them, the next she's gone. I'm worried about her, Mr Penderry. I know Miss Everlington can care for herself better than any of us realise, but...what if something dreadful truly has happened to her? What if someone has hurt her?"

"If that is truly the case, then I will find the person responsible and make them pay. Though we cannot think so grimly, Winston. I'm sure she is fine."

Make that a euphemism for i'll make sure they never see the light of day again. The temper of a werewolf should never be tested, especially mine.

"Any sign of her, ladies?" Winston asked, to which Sophie and Anju shook their heads.

"No, nothing. Bunny is asking if anyone has seen her, but..."

"We do not know a definite answer as of yet, Brother."

Jim sighed, folding his arms. "When I find that woman...oh, she'll be hearing a word or two from me."

Rose oil came to his senses, and he sniffed. His eyes flashed the colour of yellow. Humans wouldn't have been able to smell something so faint, but to Jim it was so strong.

Rose oil...I gave rose oil to Hanna for her birthday...

In the corner of his eye, he noticed someone he thought was familiar trying to walk away undetected. He recognised that frame anywhere, and that specific shade of brown that coloured their hair.

"Shannon Maria Everlington!"

Hanna stopped in her tracks, laughing nervously as she turned to face Jim. He looked mad, she thought. When her full name was said, that's when she knew Jim was angry.