•Chapter Twelve•

"I had to!" Blaire said, hoping she could get through to her grandfather before either of them ending up doing something they would regret. "Would you have believed me if I told you the truth!? No, you would think I was some crazed woman!"

"Crazed woman!? I should have seen it the first time I set my eyes on you! I show you kindness, I give you a home to stay in and this is how you repay me!? Just who are you, Miss Fletcher?"

Blaire had never seen such anger in Westman's eyes, for he was rarely ever like this in her time. She averted his cold gaze, sighing.

"I think the correct name you should be giving me is Miss Westman."

Westman loosened his grip, the surname shocking him. Yes, it was more than certain that people all over the world were bound to share the same name as him. Though it didn't seem as though Blaire was lying, her words being spoken with deepest sincerity.

"Miss Westman...I must say, I am rather surprised to meet someone with the same surname as I. Though, I feel as though there is something more we share. Are you a distant cousin my parents never told me about?"

Blaire tucked a hair behind her ear, her eyes shining as they glazed over. "I would not say that I am a distant cousin...I think it would be best if we sit down."

***

"If you are telling the truth, that that means you must be my..." he counted using his fingers, doing the calculation in his head. Mathematics was not his favourite thing, but it didn't mean to say that he couldn't do it. "One of my many great-granddaughters. Curse me for ever doubting the professor..."

"I know it must be a surprise," said Blaire, the fire crackling in her ears. "But I am your granddaughter. Mr Westman-"

"Alfred. Please, call me Alfred. Family should not use formalities."

"May I settle for Freddie?" Blaire asked, pleased as Westman nodded.

"I don't see why not."

Blaire removed the creases on her lap before clearing her throat, ceasing an irritating itch that had been teasing her. "I imagine you must be questioning why I am here- why Ollie and I are here."

"Ollie?" Westman was confused. "I assume you mean Oliver. That is Mr Mullen's real name? I can only guess that he is a Penderry or a Spencer, correct?"

"He is a Penderry, you are correct. And one of your many great-grandsons." Blaire answered, seeing the questioning in her grandfather's eyes. "Oliver Penderry. A bit irresponsible at times, though he is lovely nevertheless. A good man."

Westman was slightly amused by Ollie's traits. "He is definitely a Penderry. Oliver Penderry. I like the sound of his name."

Blaire's expression warmed; confused when it seemed as though Westman was waiting for something. "Why are you looking at me as though you wish for me to say something?"

"I was waiting for you to introduce yourself. What am I meant to call you if I do not know your name? Surely if you are a woman with beauty, you have such a name to match?"

Blaire blushed deeply, her hand touching her cheek. "Blaire. My name is Blaire. It's a horrible name, really. Complimenting it is not worth your time."

"Blaire...Blaire..."

Without realising, Westman's right hand took Blaire's, their fingers locking unconsciously. Blaire tensed when Westman's free hand came to rest on her face, her expression making him hesitate.

"You are afraid."

Blaire pushed his hand away, folding her arms. "No i'm not."

"That is a lie."